Advanced search

BF three week old grunting a lot

(26 Posts)
StripeySuit Mon 17-Aug-09 01:17:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dizietsma Mon 17-Aug-09 01:22:50

Congestion?

LackaDAISYcal Mon 17-Aug-09 01:36:14

Is he maybe struggling a bit with pooing? Is it before he fills a nappy? They can have so many windy issues at this age, but it usually settles down.

StripeySuit Mon 17-Aug-09 01:41:13

StripeySuit Mon 17-Aug-09 01:43:47

LackaDAISYcal Mon 17-Aug-09 01:43:58

It could be something and nothing, or if he is throwing up a lot it might be reflux. I'd have a word with your HV for a bit of reassurance.

I've got three and ime any tummy issues like colic, reflux or bad wind always became more apparent around the three week mark.

StripeySuit Mon 17-Aug-09 01:45:35

LackaDAISYcal Mon 17-Aug-09 01:50:17

Have you checked out kellymom for answers? It's a fantastic website for BFing concerns and queries.

It isn't an oversupply issue is it? If you have a very forceful letdown this can cause excessive windiness. there's a link to more information on that page I just linked.

LackaDAISYcal Mon 17-Aug-09 01:57:52

there'll be some stuff on there about reflux as well smile

Have you tried infacol or similar? It can sometimes help. As can gentle massage, but always make sure you massage in a circle in a clockwise direction as this is the way the intestines are curled.

hopefully it's just a blip and will resolve itself as colicky babies are hard work. My DS2 couldn't be put down for the first three months of his life and spent the time sucking hard on our fingers (he wouldn't take to a dummy at all) as this was the only thing that would give him any relief.

Another thought is that often they confuse wind with hunger, so will feed little and often which in turn can compound the problem with wind.

LackaDAISYcal Mon 17-Aug-09 01:58:51

and meant to add that it sounds like you are doing really well smile

StripeySuit Mon 17-Aug-09 02:03:16

StripeySuit Mon 17-Aug-09 02:07:33

LackaDAISYcal Mon 17-Aug-09 02:15:58

It could be lactose related as well with the mucousy stools. You could always try giving up dairy and see whether that makes a difference. I think you need to do that for a reasonable time though before seeing any results.

Hats off for the tandem feeding! I had hoped to but my 10mo old DD rejected me when I was about 10 weeks pregnant.

If you bump this in the morning, then hopefully one of the breastfeeding counsellors will see it and give you a few more pointers smile

StripeySuit Mon 17-Aug-09 02:17:18

StripeySuit Mon 17-Aug-09 02:20:47

LackaDAISYcal Mon 17-Aug-09 02:28:29

both of my DS's have been serial vomitters and DS1 was projectile for almost 9months and I suspect it was reflux in both cases.. At almost 10 months DS2 only has the odd puke now...and I have a mountain of now useless muslins when a few months ago I could barely keep up with washing them, lol.

fingers crossed it isn't anything too serious and that it resolves quickly.

I remember the painful nips....it was agony.

StripeySuit Mon 17-Aug-09 02:33:02

StripeySuit Mon 17-Aug-09 09:33:49

LackaDAISYcal Mon 17-Aug-09 10:49:11

definately sounds like reflux or silent reflux where the food comes back up but without actual vomitting. I would definately see your doctor or health visitor.

StripeySuit Mon 17-Aug-09 10:52:56

LackaDAISYcal Mon 17-Aug-09 11:59:24

I didn't as it wasn't really bad enough with DS2, and with DS1 I just acepted that "all babies possett" even though it was relentless and projectile. He was gaining well so I assume that was why no-one raised any concerns about it.

I know a few friends who have been prescribed infant gavison, but it was such a faff to administer that one of them who as BFing gave it up in the end and just accepted the endless pools of vomit. She did well to BF to 9 months though as her DD seemed to just feed constantly.

StripeySuit Mon 17-Aug-09 12:23:52

LackaDAISYcal Thu 20-Aug-09 22:16:32

how are things stripeysuit?

StripeySuit Fri 21-Aug-09 21:22:27

StripeySuit Fri 21-Aug-09 21:25:04

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now