Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and periods/ovulation

(5 Posts)
BaconAndEggs Sun 16-Aug-09 20:58:01

Is it possible for breastfeeding to delay ovulation and therefore your period, if for example baby has upped their feeds that month? (I'm talking about bfing an older baby/toddler - periods returned some time ago and have been basically regular).

thanks for any replies.

LovelyTinOfSpam Sun 16-Aug-09 21:03:23

I don't know, maybe, sorry not an expert. I do know that BF played merry hell with my fertility even after my periods returned.

I take it your period is late - could you be pregnant?

JustcallmeDog Sun 16-Aug-09 21:05:35

Message withdrawn

BaconAndEggs Sun 16-Aug-09 21:10:51

Thanks. Yes - there's a very small chance I could be pregnant, but can't get a test on a sunday evening so worrying about it - we are so not ready for another baby, dd still breastfeeds, co sleeps and doesn't sleep through, we are barely coping with one as dh works long hours too - but it's true that dd has fed more this month so am wondering if this could be why!
thanks

mawbroon Sun 16-Aug-09 21:29:18

It could be exactly that.

I was ttc for 2.5yrs whilst breastfeeding ds, and I ovulated (and therefore mensturated) at varying times, and it did seem to be later/longer cycle overall when he had fed more, and earlier/shorter cycle when he fed less.

Might be an idea just to test anyway to put your mind at rest?

I would really really recommend reading Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler. (Sorry to those who have seen me recommend this a zillion times!!) It explains it all and helps you figure out exactly what is going on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now