Talk

Advanced search

Air bubbles in BF baby poo. Mean anything??

(18 Posts)
suwoo Sun 16-Aug-09 12:31:04

I don't know why I am so paranoid about every little thing, but do air bubbles in the poo mean anything? He is 17 days old and exclusively bf. Poo is still yellow and he has about 5 a day. We have had weight gain issues that we are still addressing.

suwoo Sun 16-Aug-09 16:11:17

Bump

mumblecrumble Sun 16-Aug-09 16:15:06

Bubbles in his poo...? Aren; these little baby pumps? The good bacteria fermenting and stuff?

greeneyedg1rl Sun 16-Aug-09 17:40:41

ask your HV about it. My dd had bubbles in her poo at one stage and my (now ex) MIL (a health visitor) gave me an explanation. It's a while ago now, though, and I can't remember what the explanation was. Can't have been anything serious, though, because I don't remember going into orbit about it.

I'd offer to ask, but I haven't spoken to her in over 2 years!

suwoo Sun 16-Aug-09 18:01:54

I wont make you break the silence then greeneyed wink.

We are still under the midwife because of his slow weight gain so I didn't want to draw her attention to it in case it was something bad blush

Thats why I'm asking MN.

suwoo Sun 16-Aug-09 21:55:49

Bump again please

Comewhinewithme Sun 16-Aug-09 22:02:13

Congratulations suwoo .

I noticed air bubbles in dd poo when she was a few weeks old (she is 3 months now) it was also very frothy sometimes .

I mentioned it to MW and she said it could be down to oversupply not sure how it works but she did not look like it was anything to worry about when I mentioned it .

HTH.

Comewhinewithme Sun 16-Aug-09 22:06:33

Just found this paragraph on Kellymom :

2. Baby's bowel movements. For the first few days after delivery, the baby passes meconium, a dark green, almost black, substance. Meconium accumulates in the baby's gut during pregnancy. It is passed during the first few days, and by the third day, the bowel movements start becoming lighter, as more breastmilk is taken. Usually by the fifth day, the bowel movements have taken on the appearance of the normal breastmilk stool. The normal breastmilk stool is pasty to watery, mustard coloured, and usually has little odour. However, bowel movements may vary considerably from this description. They may be green or orange, may contain curds or mucus, or may resemble shaving cream in consistency (from air bubbles). The variations in colour do not mean something is wrong. A baby who is breastfeeding only, and is starting to have bowel movements that are becoming lighter by day 3 of life, is doing well.

suwoo Sun 16-Aug-09 22:07:49

Thanks smile.

Oversupply would be so ironic... I have had a breast reduction and have spent 14 years thinking I wouldn't be able to bf and finally gave it a go with my 3rd DC.

Comewhinewithme Sun 16-Aug-09 22:10:35

grin This is dd5 for me and after bottlefeeding the rest I thought I would never keep up the bf but she is doing really well hope it all goes ok for you too .

suwoo Sun 16-Aug-09 22:13:06

I am really enjoying it, hope you are too.

babyOcho Sun 16-Aug-09 22:38:11

DD had frothy and explosive poos around that age... They used to shoot across the room.

Never mentioned it to anyone as we thought it was normal, but the other week I was chatting to someone and I now realise that it was prob due to a fore/hind milk inbalance.

It was fine (DD no probs at all), but maybe I should have got my positioning checked out.

SpookyMadMummy Sun 16-Aug-09 22:42:32

My 19 week old DD is still having frothy poo (exclusively breastfed) and she can deliver wind from both directions for England winkgrin

suwoo Sun 16-Aug-09 22:45:06

Do I mention it to the midwife or not?

Background: He was hospitalised due to dropping from 8lb 9 to 7lb 4 and is still being monitored.

babyOcho Sun 16-Aug-09 23:05:40

Are the midwives getting your local BF councillors involved with the weight issue?

I would mention it the BF councilor about it.

btw - congratulations!

cece Sun 16-Aug-09 23:21:06

I think if it is worrying you then you should ask the mw about it. They can either reassure you or offer some relevant help.

oneopinionatedmother Sun 16-Aug-09 23:25:38

mine has cappuccino poop lots of the time!

now if only it smelled like a good hot coffee..

theansweris42 Mon 17-Aug-09 10:35:45

frothy bubbly poo here too
bit less so now but he is 12 weeks tomorrow
good luck
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now