Talk

Advanced search

could a sore throat cause latch problems?

(2 Posts)
trixymalixy Sat 15-Aug-09 23:10:47

DD is 5 days old and bfing although a bit sore was going OK until yesterday.

She now seems completely unable to latch on properly. The midwife was a bit stumped, positioning is ok, she is taking enough of the breast tissue into her mouth, but just doesn't seem to be able to latch on properly. There's a lot of clicking and sucking sounds going on.

My nipples are cut to shreds from her sucking on them and not being able to latch on properly so midwife suggested expressing and cup feeding, but DD wasn't going for that at all so have ended up bottle feeding EBM hopefully temporarily.

I was just thinking that I have a horrible sore throat which has just com on, could DD have it too and could that possibly cause her not to be able to latch properly?

kitkatqueen Sun 16-Aug-09 00:45:39

Hi Trixy,

Yes. It could. Whenever my dc's have been feeding and had a sore throat their latch has gone to pot.

Clicking and sucking noises = latch break normally.

Check her throat if you can trix, and your own. Any white patches at all, be very suspicious of thrush.

Hopefully its just a sore throat, if it is then you should be able to get her back onto boob very soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now