Talk

Advanced search

Low milk supply in the evenings, 5 week old then wakes every 1/2 hour. Help!

(8 Posts)
EmAndTheGang Sat 15-Aug-09 15:06:36

Any advice appreciated! Every evening I let baby suckle at the breast for as long as she wants (generally non-stop after 6 ish till we try and get her to bed). Apparently this should increase my supply to match her demand, but every evening she just sucks and sucks and it doesn't look/sound like she is swallowing (I can see her swallow successfully during the day). I eventually get her to bed at about 10:30pm, but after we have slept for 1/2 hour she wakes up for a feed - I'll have built a little supply by then, so she feeds, passes out, then wakes 1/2 hour later again to repeat the performance.

We have had a few feeding problems - she had a tongue tie snipped at 3 weeks, but has recently started to develop a clicking noise when feeding. I have been to clinics and had a lactation consultant round, but haven't got rid of the clicking. Using breast compression she seems to eat lots in the day.

This morning I thought I should express (I seem to have lots of milk in the morning) and give it to her in the evening, but I don't want nipple confusion as we are still having problems.

Any ideas how I can stop the 1/2 hour wake ups?

Thanks!

misdee Sat 15-Aug-09 15:09:56

this is called 'cluster feeding' generally babies just feed andfeed and feed in the evenings. dd4 used to feed constantly between [pretty much 6 and midnight blush she now reapsonds in glee at 9months old to the eastenders, friends and The Billy themetunes. blush

milk is always there, tbh i just wouldnt bother with expressing milk for the evening, as i am 1. a lazy arse, and 2, hate expressing as am useless at it.

i would settle down in front of the tv, hog the remote, grab all the cushions and make dh/dp wait on me hand and foot for drinks and snacks untill baby has fed andf settled. .

EmAndTheGang Sat 15-Aug-09 15:17:59

Thanks misdee. Should I just move my sleep times to later in the night maybe? Last night I slept from 12:30 to 7:30, with just one feed in the night which was great, but I'd rather start my sleep earlier in the evening so I can be up for my toddler in the morning at 6ish. No way I can be up then if I don't get to sleep till after midnight!

I get distressed watching my newborn suck and suck without swallowing though...

misdee Sat 15-Aug-09 15:20:52

does she do a little bottom lip quiver?

i generally dont get to bed till 11/ midnight, and get up at 7. is there anyway of getting your toddler to sleep later? i know it sounds like a big ask, but if he sleep later, or even curls up in your bed for another hour to sleep, then things may work better. or can anyone else get up with your toddler?

or just know that between 10-midnightm it will be broken sleep?

its horrible, and can be hard work juggling with older kids.

PrincessToadstool Sat 15-Aug-09 15:22:03

Em, please don't find it distressing, it's completely normal - and also she may well be swallowing without you noticing, I rarely clocked when DS was swallowing even at 18 months.

Could you take her to bed for a couple of hours and then move her to her moses basket around midnight?

CharCharGabor Sat 15-Aug-09 15:22:15

It's very very normal, some people say it's the baby tanking up for a longer sleep at night, others say it could be due to babies getting overstimulated during te day and needing to wind down. She's very young and just wants to be close to you. It will pass eventually. DD was the same as misdee's dd4, 6-12 like clockwork. Have you tried feeding lying down, that way you could at least doze or rest. Don't be upset about her sucking and not swallowing, she may just be comfort feeding smile

EmAndTheGang Sat 15-Aug-09 15:28:46

Thanks for all the feedback, sounds like I just need to change my expectations for our evenings. It's quite nice to have an excuse for lying down on the sofa all evening! DH will have to keep doing the toddlers mornings

misdee Sat 15-Aug-09 15:32:58

it does pass

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now