Talk

Advanced search

Help! Am in agony with engorged boobs after stopping breastfeeding!

(4 Posts)
dairycow Fri 14-Aug-09 22:43:17

Hi I gave up breastfeeding about four days ago, after cutting down to two feeds per day, (early morning and late at night)a few weeks back. I am finding it absolute agony with the pain,and am findng it v. hard to even give baby a cuddle. Anyone any advice - when will it get better? (No don't think it is mastitis, - no symptoms of this.) Many thanks

hanaflower Fri 14-Aug-09 22:55:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ExtraFancy Fri 14-Aug-09 22:56:17

When I was painfully engorged I found that standing under a hot shower with a hot flannel on my breasts helped. You might need to hand-express a little bit just to relieve the pressure - IIRC engorgement can lead to mastitis.

Hopefully someone who knows a bit more than me will be along soon!

dairycow Fri 14-Aug-09 23:20:42

Hi thanks for your replys. I was feeding my baby roughly 8 times per day, and after 5 months of exclusive breastfeeding finally managed to get her to accept a cup during the day. When I cut down, I found this to be no problem, well a bit of engorgement, but no way as bad as this. I just, (wrongly),assumed that as I was only doing two feeds per day that it wouldn't be too bad. I know that this isn't probably the ideal way to stop, but I want/need to stop bf now, and it has taken me months to get my DD to take a cup - (absolutely won't touch a bottle with a bargepole!), and fear that going back will send mixed messsages. Also, if I express will it take ages for my milk to dwindle seeing as I was only feeding twice per day? thanx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now