Talk

Advanced search

Please help me - my 7month old absolutely refusing to drink milk

(7 Posts)
girlafraid Fri 14-Aug-09 14:09:29

My DS has been formula fed from 10 days old - he's never been too keen on milk and much prefers food but I am barely able to get 200 ml a day down him at the moment - he locks his lips and refuses to drink. I can fool him into drinking some while asleep but once he realises what is happen ing, no joy. I've tried him with a cup and the result is the same - he will happily take water from a cup.

I'd changed him to Aptamil follow on a few weeks ago, do you think he might have suddenly decided he doesn't like the taste? I tried him on Hipp today with the same result.

i'm getting very worried, can anyone suggest anything?

Sheeta Fri 14-Aug-09 14:12:51

It might just be a phase - does he eat yoghurt/cereal with whole milk in?

How long has he been doing this - DS went through a month-long phase and it turned out it was teeth, the sucking can make the pain worse, so that may explain it.

What formula was he on initially, have you tried going back to it?

girlafraid Fri 14-Aug-09 14:17:21

Thank you - I think it could be the teeth as he's not keen on spoons either at the moment but will feed himself - so he was eating cereal etc but not sure what I can give him to eat for himself

He was on Aptamil first so I might go back to that, just a bit worried about his iron intake

Tocky Fri 14-Aug-09 14:18:46

My ds refused all formula except for night time bottles at about 7 months. It seemed to last for ages & I got anxious but it was probably only a couple of weeks and then his intake picked back up again. I gave him lots of yoghurt and things like macaroni cheese to try and compensate and it was all fine - keep offering but try not to worry, I think.

Sheeta Fri 14-Aug-09 14:22:21

You could always try mixing his cereal/other foods with formula instead, if you're worried about his iron intake?

Ready Brek is fortified with iron, lots of bread is as well

Agree with Tocky - keep offering and try not to worry

tocky I now have the Mister Maker theme tune in my head.

Sheeta Fri 14-Aug-09 14:25:14

oh, and try dentinox/teething powder about 5 mins before a feed - that might numb the gums enough for him to tolerate a feed (if it is teeth)

Also, what size teats are you using?

shigella92 Fri 14-Aug-09 14:31:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now