Talk

Advanced search

Exclusive breastfeeding support thread

(87 Posts)
Reallytired Thu 13-Aug-09 22:16:27

I thought I start a thread for those of us who are attempted to exclusively breastfeed up until 26 weeks as recommended by the NHS.

I have two children. A little boy who is seven years old and he had solid food at 16 weeks and a 17 week old baby girl. The weaning guidelines have changed beyond recognition since 7 years ago. My son is healthy inspite of weaned quite early by today's standards.

I need people to tell me to be strong and not give dd baby rice or top ups and that this latest growth spurt will pass.

DitaVonCheese Thu 13-Aug-09 23:18:51

Bit late for me (DD is 10 months) but just wanted to wish you luck. There have been a couple of threads over the last couple of days about the 4 month growth spurt - it is a monster, but it does end ... eventually. It is a good feeling when you get to 26 weeks - wishing you all the best with it

tiktok Thu 13-Aug-09 23:33:24

Great you plan on excl bf, ReallyTired, but weaning guidelines have changed hardly at all!

They went from being '4-6 mths' which they'd been for years and years and years, to '6 mths' in 2003.

They never were 16 weeks - never. The thing that happened was many HVs misinterpreted '4-6 mths' as being 16 weeks. They were wrong!

Dillydaydreamer Fri 14-Aug-09 00:00:06

Good on you Really Tired smile it will pass and you can do it smile I didn't manage exclusive and weaned early with both dds and regret it.

Tiktok helped no end in me even continuing to breastfeed to 6mths let alone exclusively. (Thanks Tiktok)
I have since been away educating myself and realise the error of my ways grin
I recommend you read this
www.who.int/child_adolescent_health/documents/9789241597494/en/

Reallytired Fri 14-Aug-09 09:20:30

I think that quality of advice and support is what makes a sucess story. Seven years ago I did really well considering the complete and utter sh!te uttered by health visitors and no internet accesss. Seven years ago I was advised to give solids at 13 weeks! [Oh my gawd emotion]

Luckily my mother was a midwife and told me that this was bollocks advice and I should wait until at least 4 months. In the end I exclusively breastfeed my son until the four month growth spurt kicked in with avenenge.

Even in 2009 there is still sh!t advice from health professionals who should know better.

Littledawley Fri 14-Aug-09 09:29:49

DD is 21 weeks - and suddenly very hungry. A friend of mine is a GP and asked me why I hadn't weaned her yet shock. I really want to get to 26 weeks before I offer solids (although she isn't breastfed so maybe I'm not 'allowed' on this thread!!)

elkiedee Fri 14-Aug-09 09:38:58

RT, well done getting so far. I know it's hard to deal with the waking up much more at 4/5 months but I honestly don't believe the solution is solids or if bf introducing a bottle of formula. I think some of it's needing more "food" ie milk to grow, some of it's teeth and other development changes.

I've just started BLW in the last 10 days, as DS was 26 weeks last Tuesday. (The sleeping hasn't got better!)

Good luck to all of you.

charleymouse Fri 14-Aug-09 15:42:40

It will pass RT it will pass. smile It is possible, DD was exclusively BF until 6.5 months.

DS had a taste of baby rice earlier than this (5 monthish) as I was advised to as he was prem, he didn't seem to like it so I stopped and waited until afetr 6 months.

I have more confidence this time round so DC 4 will deffo be BF (fingers crossed) until 6 months minimum.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 14-Aug-09 15:46:03

Reallytired - it is a tough patch this 4 month growth spurt. Hang in there, you are doing absolutely the best thing for your baby

KingRolo Fri 14-Aug-09 15:51:26

Just remember that there are more calories in milk than in baby rice or fruit purees so if your little one is hungry then more milk is the best option.

I found the 4 - 5 month stage a bit of a killer. Looking back, DD was teething and that was the root of a lot of the trouble. Starting her on solids would not have made a blind bit of difference.

And think of all the money you'll save on baby food, the lack of washing up, having no mashed banana smeared on your clothes... well, until 26 weeks!

WoTmania Fri 14-Aug-09 16:08:20

It'll pass.
DD is now 24/25 weeks and still exclusively BF. At 17 weeks she had the most mahoosive growth spurt and started feeding more in the night. Now she's crawling she's started feeding more in the night again after a brief lull.
You'll get through it. grin

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 14-Aug-09 16:11:45

Thought I'd join the thread. DS2 is 24 weeks, exclusively BF and very happy with it. He is actually huge for his age but healthy-looking iykwim.

lilymolly Fri 14-Aug-09 17:20:56

Can I join please?????????

ds is 19 weeks and has been waking in the night more frequently since 16 weeks old and last night was every 2 hours and ITS KILLING ME!!!

I am exclusivly breastfeeding and so want to get to 26 weeks

I also have dd 3 and half who is getting the wrath of my tiredness sad

My ds is only 13lb 11oz so very tiny.

I am so tempted to go out and get a carton of formula or get him on food but hoping this phase will pass hmm

SlightlyDoolally Fri 14-Aug-09 17:36:20

Can I join too, please? My DS is 19 weeks on Sunday and is also feeding like a monster every 2 hours day and night. I'm getting lots of pressure from various family members to try him on formula or start weaning, but am really determined to keep bfing exclusively until 26 weeks.

Great idea to have a support thread - we can all encourage each other to keep going.

My latest idea (and I don't know the science behind breastmilk so no idea if it will work) is to try to cut out virtually all sugar from my diet so DS isn't getting a sugar high from the breastmilk. I noticed his sleep was much worse on a day when I'd eaten more sugar than normal, and better on a day when i tried to eat less. Probably just coincidence, but makes me feel like I have a modicum of control (and is good for my post-baby weight loss too).

Hope everyone has a better night tonight - are you all starting to dread bedtimes as well?

Reallytired Fri 14-Aug-09 17:36:23

The more on this thread the merrier.

Those of you with other children, how to do you cope when your baby is feeding constantly. My daughter woke up twice last night and I am feeling really tired. (just like my name.) dd is pretty good in that she goes back to sleep quickly, but I'm not sleeping well.

School holidays are a nightmare, prehaps I need to change my screen name to ReallyGrumpty. My son has done little today, but watch TV and play computer games. We did go swimming, the science museum and zoo this week though.

SlightlyDoolally Fri 14-Aug-09 17:41:19

I could change mine to ReallySneezy as I have a cold at the moment (which isn't helping nighttime wake-ups). Perhaps we can get all the 7 dwarves on this thread (but probably not ReallyHappy).

lilymolly Fri 14-Aug-09 17:49:37

Can I be reallypissedoff please? grin

Reallytired Fri 14-Aug-09 19:35:18

Prehaps we can all be reallyHappy when we get to 26 weeks.

lilymolly Sat 15-Aug-09 20:03:40

sorry, I have to leave this thread, as I caved in and gave ds some baby rice with breast milk today at lunch time and tonight before bed, to god help me please let him sleep better tonight

It was either that or formula, and my health visitor (family friend) told me the rice in conjunction with breast milk was the lesser of two evils grin

He took it really well, no gagging or tongue thrusting, so fingers crossed ladies

Best of luck to you all x

Reallytired Sat 15-Aug-09 21:42:01

((((((((lilymolly))))))))

19 weeks of exclusive breastfeeding is still a fanastic achievement. I hope your lo sleeps better. I'm glad that the baby rice went well.

Please feel welome on this thread. You have got further than many people in the UK.

scotlass Sat 15-Aug-09 22:19:52

Can I join? DS is 17wks, 15lbs 15ozs and feels like he's feeding constantly through the night, 5 times between 9pm and 9am, 3hrly and he demands to be fed. Have bf exclusively and also don't want to cave in but am wavering.

I think his mouth is bothering him (dribbling +++, shoving anything and everything into his mouth).

Anyone think a dummy will help, he's never needed one but am trying to decide if maybe he just wants to suck rather than feed - or is this just classic 4mth growth spurt?? I'm soooooo tired.

scotlass Sat 15-Aug-09 22:21:17

p.s I think I'm reallydopey as am always forgetting things grin

lilymolly Sun 16-Aug-09 08:07:44

well it looks like it made naff all difference.

He was awake every hour from 10.30pm until 5am sad

Dickhead dp then decided that as it was his turn for a lie in angry so I am now up with dd and ds sad

DD keeps asking why mummys crying? sad

Reallytired Sun 16-Aug-09 19:53:36

(((((((((lilymolly))))))

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such and awful time. I'm not surprised that you are crying.

How often is your ds feeding during the day? How old is your DD?

I only had one feed last night, although we had three feeds the night before. My daughter is feeding about every hour and half today. We are co sleeping which really helps. I took the side off our cot and put it next to the bed.

Would it be worth getting your dp to try and settle him with the dummy if he is feeding every hour during the night?

CatIsSleepy Sun 16-Aug-09 20:00:03

ok I'm in
dd is 22 weeks today and for the last month on and off has been waking up 2 or 3 times a night

thoughts of weaning have been dancing through my head

actually i will confess she has a had a bottle of formula at 10.30pm for the last 2 nights and I am feeling guilty!
<shuffles sheepishly away from thread>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now