Talk

Advanced search

2 week old mixed fed DD2 has oral thrush, please would someone be able to answer my questions TIA

(9 Posts)
insertwittynicknameHERE Thu 13-Aug-09 09:51:15

DD2 is now 2 weeks old and mixed fed, last night I couldn't get her to latch on, it was the same this morning, I noticed lots of little white spots with redness around them on the inside of DD's mouth. She latches on for a few seconds then comes off screaming and crying I think it is really hurting her sad.
I do not have any symptoms as yet although my right nipple is bleeding slightly. I have a GP's appointment for her and myself later on today.
The local BF'ing MW is on holiday for 2 weeks so I have no one to ask.

I have been expressing more since last night to keep my supply up, can I use the milk for DD or does it need to be chucked away as I suppose it will have the thrush in it.

I can't remember what I did with DD1 it feels so long ago.

Also any other info WRT thrush would be gratefully received. I really do not want to go through with DD2 what I did with DD1!!

sarah293 Thu 13-Aug-09 09:52:51

Message withdrawn

insertwittynicknameHERE Thu 13-Aug-09 09:57:46

Thanks Riven, do you know if I can I get daktarin over the counter?

DD1 was over 6 months old when we got our first bout of thrush and my gp refused to treat us as according to her we didn't need to BF past 6 months!!!!!! shock Unfortunately I was too tired to argue with her and fed DD till she was about 7.5 months but then I couldn't take anymore of the pain and stopped sad

sarah293 Thu 13-Aug-09 09:58:57

Message withdrawn

insertwittynicknameHERE Thu 13-Aug-09 09:59:59

Thank you, I will send DH out now for some.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 13-Aug-09 10:02:57

good god your gp was out of order

insertwittynicknameHERE Thu 13-Aug-09 13:48:40

I know she was, I'm seeing a different GP (with the same practice) later on, hopefully she will be better.

Do you know if I should throw the milk I have expressed away or can I still use it?

mathanxiety Fri 14-Aug-09 07:56:38

I would go on using it, but limit the bottle because there's more sugar in the formula that allows the thrush to grow. As well as the topical treatment.

insertwittynicknameHERE Fri 14-Aug-09 16:21:53

GP gave me Nystan for DD and it has already started clearing the thrush up. DD still wont latch on as it is too painful for her.

I am only able to express small amounts as I think my supply has decreased since DD stopped latching on. So she is going to have to have the formula or be hungry I am afraid and I am not letting her go hungry when there is no need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now