Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

REALLY painful letdown

(7 Posts)
twolittlekings Wed 12-Aug-09 19:52:27

Has anyone else had this? My DS2 is now 3 weeks old and the let down of milk has actually got worse over time. Breasts now sting (really can't describe it any other way) but not a little bit but actually brings tears to my eyes.Sometimes I can feel shooting pains in my breasts but when I press them they don't hurt. All a bit wierd as I never got this with DS1 and not sure if I should go to Doc. Has anyone else had this?

Thanks

wem Wed 12-Aug-09 19:55:00

Not me, but a friend had this. I'm afraid to say I don't think it went away while she was bfeeding, but I'm not sure if she ever went to the doctor about it. Worth going to see if it's a result of something else, maybe thrush?

hairymelons Wed 12-Aug-09 19:58:33

Yes do check for thrush, especially as you have shooting pains and didn't experience this last time. I had a strong, dull ache when milk let down but never like you describe.
Maybe talk to BF counsellor too? They might have some tips.

littleweed10 Wed 12-Aug-09 20:34:34

Hi

my baby is now 14 weeks, and I did have really painful 'spiky' pains when my milk was getting eastablished, which I have a feeling might be around the time you are at the moment. I was also really worried it was thrush, but it just seemed to tail off after a few days...

I found a soak in the bath - tummy side down, soothed my boobs with a gentle massage afterwards. A warm wheat cushion also helped

twolittlekings Wed 12-Aug-09 20:52:46

Thanks everyone - I have looked at thrush and symptoms and I don't get pain after feeding which is more symptomatic of thrush but it looks like it can be hard to diagnose. I will talk to the HV and go to the GP if it continues to hurt.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 12-Aug-09 21:04:25

I had more the dull ache described by hairymelons, but they did carry on for a while. I found that breathing exercises like used during labour helped.
Stinging does sound rather odd and may be worth further investigation just in case. If it doesn't hurt when pressing neither I wonder if it could be thrush.

chegirl Wed 12-Aug-09 21:22:13

I had this with DS3. It seemed to go on for ever but did eventually get better after a few weeks. I dont know if let down pains are like after pains and can get worse the more children you have. This seems to be the case with me anyway.

It wont last forever smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now