Talk

Advanced search

Can I keep my supply up just expressing for 3.5 days?

(5 Posts)
girlylala0807 Wed 12-Aug-09 18:29:09

My 4.5 month ds is going with Dh next week to stay at grannies for a few days so I can have a chance to revise and do exams as I have 5 in the next 2 weeks .

Its far from ideal I know, please dont judge.

Will it be possible to keep supply up while he is away just expressing?

While he is away I have stored enough milk for him for a few feeds a day so his formula feeds will go up to two a day rather than 1, should he have water as well to help him digest it better, someone suggested it mey help but im not sure.

TIA.

weegiemum Wed 12-Aug-09 18:33:45

Yes.

When my dd1 (first child) was 5 months old, I went on holiday with my Gran. It was for a specific occasion and had been planned before I became pregnant.

I was away for 10 days. I expressed enough (it came out at about half a gallon!) for her before I went, expressed 5 times a day while I was gone, and then went on to feed her to 12 months when I got back.

You can do it. No, it is not ideal, but life isn't.

I look back now on those 10 days with my Gran, who died almost 3 years ago now, and am so pleased I went on holiday with her - that time is precious, and could not be replaced,

girlylala0807 Wed 12-Aug-09 18:48:05

Thank you for answering so fast.

That keeps my mind at ease for now.

CMOTdibbler Wed 12-Aug-09 21:10:22

yes, as long as you express really thoroughly (hand express at the end to get the last of the milk out, you'll be suprised how much there is), and enough times a day, it won't be a problem.

I travel for work, and started back travelling when DS was 6 months old, and continued to feed him till he was 23 months

girlylala0807 Thu 13-Aug-09 16:36:16

Thanks CMOT.

I have taken to hand expressing after giving up with 3 different breast pumps, I just about have the hang of it now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now