Talk

Advanced search

I'm not insane am I? Cow's milk, formula question for 6 month old

(6 Posts)
laumiere Wed 12-Aug-09 18:21:48

Firstly I'm going to do a happy little dance as I never thought I'd be able to feed DS2 til 6 mo (DS1 lasted about 8 weeks).

Now, my question: At the moment DS2 doesn't have any milk other than mine in his diet (he does have solids 3x a day). I know he can start to have milk on cereal and yogurt, but as a 'main' drink, if I were to stop BFing, formula would be better for him than cow's milk right? I think I read something on KellyMom about it but can't find the link.

Basically I LOVE feeding DS2 and will be mat leave until he's 11 mo, and I'm trying to persuade DH that me BFing him will be easier and cheaper (want to put aside the health/optimum feeding aspect, DH was FF, as was DS1 and don't want to imply negativity when I'm trying to persuade him!). I figure that transitioning to cow's milk at 12 mo is easier than me giving BF at 7 mo and putting DS2 on formula for 16w, especially as he's a bottle refuser.

differentID Wed 12-Aug-09 18:25:35

Yes, cows milk is unsuitable as a main drink for babies until after 12 months. I thisnk it's soemthing to do with the enzymes in it? I'm sure someone a bit more knowledgable will be along shortly.

llareggub Wed 12-Aug-09 18:25:53

Why do you need to persuade him? Why is he opposed to continuing beyond 6 months?

If you really must try, how about just stating that the WHO recommends breastfeeding for the first 2 years of life? Another factor for me is that it is hell of a lot easier to breastfeed than it is do remember to buy milk, make-up bottles, warm bottles, wash bottles etc etc.

Surely the easiest option is to continue with the status quo?

laumiere Wed 12-Aug-09 18:57:47

WHO message really isn't cutting any ice! To be fair DS1 was mostly FFed and is very healthy (despite having a disability).

llareggub Still love your MN name! I think the status quo point would win, except
that we're off on hols in Sept (2 weeks in Spain, 2 weeks in Wales) and to be honest I think DH wants to be a bit more involved so I actually get a break. We've got 2 nights away in Spain and 1 night in Cardiff without the kids so it would be useful to have DS2 at least taking something other than BM (he won't drink EBM either). But I know in my heart once I start on the formula route then the BF will fade away (this is what happened with DS1).

llareggub Wed 12-Aug-09 19:03:54

Might not. I mix fed DS1 for 2.8 years, but I know that it doesn't always work. I can see what your DH is saying but a break on holiday may equate to more hassle in the long-term.

laumiere Wed 12-Aug-09 19:13:32

That's my feeling to be honest. I suspect if DS2 is desperate he'll drink the formula for a day or two, or just manage on the liquid from his solids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now