Talk

Advanced search

Have just given 11 day old BF DS a dummy. Have I done a 'bad thing'??????

(7 Posts)
suwoo Tue 11-Aug-09 14:02:51

Both the other two were sucky babies and had dummies but DS2 is the first I have breastfed.

Only just getting to grips with feeding properly, but he has just been suckling on me for nearly 2 hours and not actively feeding. I have tried to latch him off a few times, but he has really cried sad

I have given him a dummy, but I am now worrying myself that I have completely fucked up the bf and he will never feed again. I am actually feeling quite panicky about this (yes I am clearly a twat) whilst DS is sleeping happily in his pram with dummy in situ.

Do I need to go and tear it from his mouth?

PinkTulips Tue 11-Aug-09 14:11:19

Not at all... dd had a dummy from a few days old as she was sucking my nipples red raw. The HV insisted that i give her a dummy... in her words: 'I'm not supposed to recommend them to bf-ers but you're not going to be able to keep feeding if this keeps up... get over to the chemists now and buy one'. She was dead right too.

ds1 i gave him one at 5 weeks because i decided leaving him to cry while i dealt with dd was unfair and the dummy kept him happy for a while.

ds2 has never been able to suck his dummies due to tongue tie and i sort of miss them! Although i had decided this time not to give them at night as i hated the months of crawling around on the floor hunting for a dropped dummies in the middle of the night!

tiktok Tue 11-Aug-09 14:16:59

????

Where is it written that breastfeeding ceases when a baby has a dummy? Where has the idea come from?

Seriously....panic is a bit of an over-reaction But in your own case, I think you're right to be cautious about using a dummy.

Babies who are learning to breastfeed probably (I say probably as there is no good, solid research on this) should avoid dummies; their sucking practice is best obtained 'direct' from mum. Giving a dummy before the baby has really got to grips with bf could mean he sucks and is happy, but would be better off getting food. Some laid back or sleepy babies will be quite comfortable sucking, and will not 'ask' to be fed (others make it quite clear they accept no substitutes and will insist on feeding).

Long periods of sucking with not much taking in of milk is normal newborn behaviour and in your case suwoo you have already had a fright when your baby lost a lot of weight and he may now be ensuring he builds up a good supply and gets a good intake by having the occasional feed-a-thon.

At times, you may have to compromise and let him sleep somewhere that's not actually 'on you', but all in all, in your situation, it's probably too soon for frequent use of a dummy. This is my opinion, only! In time, a dummy will be less of an issue, but at the moment less than a week since your baby was admitted to hospital for poor weight gain....maybe hang on a bit?

muddleduck Tue 11-Aug-09 14:22:45

Both my dc were exclusively bf and had dummies. Definitely no need to panic grin.

I only used the dummies to help them go to sleep when they were a bit agitated but had been fed relatively recently. I never gave them a dummy when they were hungy only when they were tired and unsettled.

PinkTulips Tue 11-Aug-09 14:25:08

eek, i didn't realise your ds was in trouble with his weight.

in that case i'd have to say tiktok is spot In (you'd think it was her job or something wink), chances are he's cluster feeding to boost supply and pile on the weight and as long as he's not doing you damage i'd leave him to it.

Duvet days on the couch for a few days imo smile

suwoo Tue 11-Aug-09 14:35:13

OK normal service has resumed. DS is on the breast as we speak grin

PinkTulips Tue 11-Aug-09 14:46:31

Glad you're still grining about it anyway wink

Don't worry, things do calm down over the next few weeks and the insane constant feeding doesn't last forever, although you may find he cluster feeds in the evenings until about 3/4 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now