Talk

Advanced search

Come and tell me what to think about the new Angeline Jolie breastfeeding statue!

(44 Posts)
TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Tue 11-Aug-09 12:31:04

Here.

I don't know how I feel about it - on the one hand YAY breastfeeding is celebrated. On the other hand, I can't help but feel that a nekkid Angeline Jolie is always going to be sexualised, and gives the wrong message about breastfeeding.

What do we think?

LadyOfWaffle Tue 11-Aug-09 12:36:04

Nice idea but it's pretty awful... who breastfeeds totally in the buff? ie. no pants...

sockmonkey Tue 11-Aug-09 12:37:00

How often do any of us BF completely nekkid?
Very Odd.

Thandeka Tue 11-Aug-09 12:39:05

whats the thing sticking out of her head?

Rindercella Tue 11-Aug-09 12:39:52

Hmm, not a great statue. It could've been a really great idea. Also I am sure her norks have been scaled down - she must've had way bigger norkage than that when the twins were that small!

GeorgeTheSlitheen Tue 11-Aug-09 12:41:10

what's holding those babies up ?

If they'd included the pillow it'd be nice but as it is i think it's just missing to give us a shot of her bits.. which annoys me.

thatsnotmymonster Tue 11-Aug-09 12:42:40

NOBODY breast feeds naked surely?

I mean even Angelina can't be that confident about her body weeks after giving birth to twins.

And I'm pretty sure you're right about her norkage- way too small.

Also can you really hold twins in midair like that while feeding? Surely you need cushions etc to support them or it would be pretty uncomfortable!

suwoo Tue 11-Aug-09 12:43:20

She doesn't look very comfy, the midwives told me not to lean forward like that wink

hereidrawtheline Tue 11-Aug-09 12:44:46

I breastfed naked all the time when DS was small blush I sleep naked!

mears Tue 11-Aug-09 12:45:26

Angelina obviously did not sit for this sculpture!

For the age of the babies she should have had a post birth stomach.

The babies are poorly positioned with her hands on the backs of their heads? If she positioned them like that she is bound to have has sore nipples and poor milk supply!

LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 11-Aug-09 12:54:57

I go to BF in night pant-less. Don't wear them in bed so not going to put them on for sake of baby!

Wouldn't wear a bra either if it wasn't for leakage issues...

Crap sculpture though.

thatsnotmymonster Tue 11-Aug-09 14:36:49

Doesn't really look like her either apart from the hair!

BFing naked at night is one thing but you don't sit around your house (or anywhere else)like that in the daytime, do you?

posieparkerinChina Tue 11-Aug-09 14:40:38

Could have been beautiful... but terrible in reality.

FrameyMcFrame Tue 11-Aug-09 14:55:29

grrrr.. this is not reality its more male orientated bollocks. It just makes normal women feel fat and not good enough as they are not super skinny and sexy 3 days after giving birth. Perpetuating the myth that celebs can get back to size zero with a normal diet straight after childbirth when actually it's that post c section tummy tuck.
Sorry ranting grin

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Tue 11-Aug-09 14:58:46

Mears - yes i thought the positioning was a bit crap too. I thought that they'd positioned the twins' heads so that you got maximum boob exposure, which is perhaps why I got the over-sexualised impression from it.

I dunno, it just seems like, "Hey, let's do a sculpture of Angelina Jolie naked," and the breastfeeding part of it is just wholly gratuitous and unnecessary!

LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 11-Aug-09 15:23:56

I assumed that the sculpture was representing BF at night - she looks knackered and has her eyes shut.

Do people feed twins like this at the same time? i always imagined doing it one at a time for some reason, but suppose you'd have to if they were both hungry at the same time...

You'd end up with killer arms that looks like hard work...

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Tue 11-Aug-09 15:27:19

LTOS - tandem my 2 like this but ds is older and obviously able to sort himself out! I'm not sure how you'd actually latch babies like that at the same time, without pillows or other support!

LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 11-Aug-09 15:30:20

Quite a feat.

I reckon it could be done though. Maybe brad helped get them in place and then went off somewhere else, leaving her stuck like it.

pofacedandproud Tue 11-Aug-09 15:34:00

Just an anonymous woman breastfeeding [one baby] would have been more powerful, why attach to it the tacky celebrity thing? Obviously done for attention. Not very good and totally unrealistic. Opportunity missed.

SoupDragon Tue 11-Aug-09 15:35:27

It looks completely unnatural. There isn't a hint of nurturing in it at all.

LittleMissBliss Tue 11-Aug-09 15:38:33

Its bloody awful! Who would breastfeed like that? I never breastfed completely naked sitting up. Sometimes topless but at home but never felt the need to take of my knickers too!

I also never fed holding ds in min air...WTF

PinkTulips Tue 11-Aug-09 15:38:44

the women i know who've had twins certainly didn't have stomachs like that anytime soon after grin

in fact they still looked healily pregnant when their bubs were that age.

i can understand top off but why is she knickless? those babies look newborn, surely she'd be bleeding all over the gaff?

and are those babies so endowed with uber cool that they can actually self levitate shock

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Tue 11-Aug-09 16:40:06

I've started a tandem nursing pics thread so we can compare real women with The Almighty Angelina! wink

theyoungvisiter Tue 11-Aug-09 16:46:10

I wonder if AJ was consulted about this? I couldn't find any info on whether she was behind the idea or not. It seems a bit weird that someone can just sculpt you nekkid without any permission!

(Fortunately I think the demand for a naked statue of me 3 weeks post-birth would be very low)

PinkTulips Tue 11-Aug-09 17:06:43

You never know tyv... weirder stuff than that sells on ebay wink

I agree though, i'm intrigued as to whether she's behind this... if she is it's awful that she'd try and portray herself so completely unrealistically... but if she isn't it's equally worrying that someone can just carve nekkid statues of you without any permission whatsoever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now