Talk

Advanced search

Going on holiday without DS, will BF continue after I get back?

(4 Posts)
sambo303 Tue 11-Aug-09 10:06:17

Hi - planning ahead for a holiday next August; ds will be 23 months and I am hoping to be still bfing him up to that point. DS will stay with my parents and we will be away without him 9 days. Say I was bfing him morning and night only, would the 9 day break mean bfing would probably stop at that point? I'd really like ds to self wean so I'd feel a bit bad about instigating the end of bf. I know it's all very hypothetical but I am already worrying about it!

cthea Tue 11-Aug-09 10:08:57

Stop worrying! There's still 12 months to go till then.

mawbroon Tue 11-Aug-09 23:44:53

You would probably get engorged after 9 days, even with just morning/bedtime feeding, so would need to express.

I am guessing by 23 months, your body would probably be able to handle that break, but as cthea says, it's a year away!!

PortAndLemon Wed 12-Aug-09 00:38:41

It'd be up to him -- you'd need to express a bit even if only hand-expressing in the shower, over that period or else your breasts would explode and put off other holidaymakers. You'd still have milk left when you came back so it would depend on whether he'd gone off the idea. Four or five days was never an issue with DS, who would pick up enthusiastically where he'd left off, but I've not tried nine and, of course, all children are different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now