Talk

Advanced search

Still breastfeeding and returning to work

(6 Posts)
mummy2JJ Tue 11-Aug-09 09:39:28

Hello-I'm new to mumsnet but have found it a great source of good advice when I have read various posts over the last few months. My son in now 41 weeks old and breastfed. I am about to return to work 3 days a week. I'm having a real dilemma about what to do re: milk during the days when he is at nursery as I'm planning on working 9-4 three days a week.

At present, he has a breastfeed before his breakfast around 5.30-6, sometimes a small feed at 9-9.30 ish (sometimes not), lunch at 11-11.30, breastfeed at 2, tea at 5 and final breastfeed at 7. He occasionally feeds at night but this is rare now.

I wanted to give him a cup of milk to take to nursery but i think I must have a problem with high levels of lipase in my milk (every time I freeze and thaw it it tastes really soapy and horrid).

Here are my questions:
1) Will he be ok just having three feeds a day (i.e. before and after nursery plus before bed) or should I give him a cup of formula (I'm reluctant to do this really as he has eczema and food allergies already)
2) Should I replace his mid morning milk with water?
3) Will I need to express milk on the days he is in nursery so I can carry on feeding him as 'normal' on his home days or will my breasts adjust?

Any advice would be appreciated-thanks

CMOTdibbler Tue 11-Aug-09 09:50:30

I'd just let him have water during the day. But you can try expressing and giving him fresh milk in a cup - it keeps for up to 8 days in the back of the fridge, so you wouldn't need to freeze it.

Expressing will make you more comfortable, even if it's a quick hand express at lunchtime. Then just feed as normal on your home days

mummy2JJ Tue 11-Aug-09 11:13:11

Thanks for that-my gut feeling is that he will probably be ok with some water and his lunch/tea.

It will be good if I can carry on feeding him on my home days as we both enjoy the breast feeds

hanaflower Tue 11-Aug-09 12:50:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsBadger Tue 11-Aug-09 12:59:49

41wks [counts on fingers] 9m ish yes?

I have high lipase (though not as high as you I don't think) and as CMOT suggests I expressed and just chilled it.

I think for your own comfort a quick session at lunchtime might help, but if you don;t find you need it then maybe not. DD was at nursery 5 days which was a bit different but I'd find that by noon on a Monday I was bursting.

mummy2JJ Wed 12-Aug-09 20:10:39

Thanks for all your helpful comments. None of my friends have breast fed for more than a couple of months so I've been stuck for advice (apart from the obvious-'why don't you just give him some formula' ?!).

He has had two trial half days this week and he seemed ok missing his morning breast feed. I was a little engorged but he had a good early pm feed which relieved it. I think it will probably be a little worse when he is in nursery for a full day so i will take my breast pump to work and express in my (half hour) lunch break. At least then I wont worry about my milk supply (or leaking milk over my patients as I'm a physio!)

I must admit I haven't been feeding him at night for the last few weeks even if he wakes and crys but just tend to pat/rock him back to sleep. I think I've assumed he is 'too old' for a night feed now. Maybe I should lighten up a little on the days he gets less milk during the day and give him some at night (or will this just confuse him?)

On a separate note he has been so clingy since his trial sessions, crying when i leave the room or try to hand him to anyone else. He has also started becoming really difficult to settle to sleep and wants to be held/rocked to sleep. He has started having proper tantrums when I try to put him in his cot. Is this just normal separation anxiety? Should I rock/ cuddle him to sleep or try to be firm and put him down drowsy but awake?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now