Talk

Advanced search

hello, advice needed please on newborn feeding

(4 Posts)
twolittlekings Tue 11-Aug-09 09:29:19

Hello, would really like to get advice as I am a new parent again after 4 years and DS2 very different from DS1, plus am a bit rusty on what to do!

DS2 is 3 weeks and eats very well (breast) and has already regained his birthweight plus more despite being quite small. During the day i feed every 2-3 hours when he wants to feed but pretty much from day 1 in the evening he sleeps from 8pm until 2am then wakes for a feed and then back (mostly but not always) until 6 am. Whilst it is nice to have the evening, the problem witn this is at 2am I am in a lot of pain from breast engorgement and also worry that my milk supply is being affected.

Should I try and wake DS2 at 11pm for another feed and then he may not need to have a 2am feed and sleep until 6am or shall I let things lie? Have tried but he often will not wake up! DS1 always woke at 11pm for a feed so I worry that DS2 is missing out on a vital feed. Any advice would be gratefully rececived.

mummy2JJ Tue 11-Aug-09 09:48:37

Lucky you getting 6 hours unbroken sleepwink

Personally, I would just either carry on as you are and your boobs will gradually adjust or you could always express the extra milk and freeze it for a rainy day!

You could wake your baby at 11 but I found it better to let my baby set up his own night time feeding routine. Hope this helps

daisyj Tue 11-Aug-09 09:54:34

Agree with above mummy2JJ. You might change your mind if you DS2's patterns changes, which it may well do, but at the moment I would say 'if it ain't broke...'. I had similar to you, and always hesitated about doing a dream feed. Tried it once or twice, but she never woke enough to take a proper feed and woke at 2/3 anyway. Since 3 weeks her patterns have changed 2 or 3 times at least, so I would give it another few weeks as you are. I sympathise with the discomfort you're having. DD (18 weeks) slept through last night for only the third time ever, but I was up at 4 emergency expressing! I think your milk supply will adjust if DS patterns change, so I wouldn't worry about that - mine certainly did.

twolittlekings Tue 11-Aug-09 10:27:49

Thanks for this - yes I will leave it - although still going to bed really late as it's the only time I get to myself at the moment. I am sure it will change soon anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now