Talk

Advanced search

How to make a breast fed baby go longer between feeds

(20 Posts)
popsycal Wed 25-May-05 21:50:59

DS2 is almost 12 weeks now and still only goes between 2 to 2.5 hours between feeds day and night.

I am still just going with the flow, but even at night he wakes up like clockwork....

Any ideas/suggestions?
Or should I just keep on going with it?

DS1 was mainly bottle fed by this age

hunkermunker Wed 25-May-05 21:52:03

Do you offer the second boob after he's had enough of the first?

hunkermunker Wed 25-May-05 21:52:16

But don't swap too soon!

dinny Wed 25-May-05 21:54:03

Hmmm, Posycal, ds still does this and he's nearly 9 months.... My advice is learn how to feed lying down, if you haven't already.... hth (sorry a bit useless!)

starlover Wed 25-May-05 21:54:30

it sounds ok to me... my ds is mixed fed, and even when he has had formula will often want more about 2.5 hours later (although it is sometimes more often)

i was breastfed when i was a baby and wanted feeding every 2 hours on the dot!

MumOnaMission Wed 25-May-05 22:44:54

Do you think it's hunger or comfort feeding? A dummy helped my dd go longer.

popsycal Thu 26-May-05 09:15:26

i do offer the second boob and half the time he will take it
sometimes he does seem hungry but at least part of it is comfort
he hates the dummy but i am persistin..he has just found his thumb in the last few days too....

i do bring him into bed with me and feed lying down but really dont like it and sometimes sleep worse than sitting up feeding then putting him back in his cot

i guess i will just keep going with the flow and try to push him a bit longer if i know he has had a particularly good feed

just conscious of going back to work in the not too distant future

popsycal Thu 26-May-05 09:18:41

forgot to add that he has mild reflux so over feeding means projectile vomit

guess i am stuck with little and often arent i

lima Thu 26-May-05 09:50:25

both mine only went 2 to 2.5 hours between feeds until they started sleeping through the night - around 5 to 6 months

bakedpotato Thu 26-May-05 10:01:00

I'm sure you've thought of trying ebm in a bottle in the late evening, after a breastfeed (when your supply is lowest anyway), to see if that will buy you both a longer stretch of sleep?
it should give you a clearer idea of whether he's waking for food, or just for comfort, in which case it might be easier to to experiment with leaving him for a bit, to see if he will resettle himself.

popsycal Thu 26-May-05 10:52:47

bakedpotato...that is exactly my plan for tonight....he hasnt had milk from a bottle yet but i have some ebm in the fridge now

thanks for your advice everyone
i have a feeling that it is becoming habit waking and relying on the boob to fall asleep

bakedpotato Thu 26-May-05 11:03:18

[smille]
good luck with it

popsycal Fri 27-May-05 09:06:36

hmmm
he wouldnt take a bottle
but i will persist
timed his feeds last night
10pm, 12:30, 1:15, 3:10, 4:05, 5:10 then woken up by ds1 at 5:40

that is what happens if i bring him into bed with me

tonights plan. feed sitting up and use dummy if he has fed within the previous 3 hours
feeling pressured to sort this as I am meant to be returning to work in the not too distant future

popsycal Fri 27-May-05 09:07:14

BUT!!!
he fed at 6:30 and is asleep now......going to push him to wait til 9:30....send sleep vibes please

Mirage Fri 27-May-05 19:12:51

popsycal,dd1 started doing this at 6wks,after previously going 3 hours between feeds.She wasn't physically taking any more milk,just the same amount every 2-2.5 hours.It turned out that she was a 'sucky' baby & just wanted comfort,so we introduced a dummy & that did the trick.

Sleep vibes coming your way.

popsycal Fri 27-May-05 19:19:12

wahey
been strict mummmy today...made him go at least 3 hours between feeds...took more milk each time and seemed happier and less screamy

also forced him to have dummy which he hates
tonights plan: use ummy first befire feeding; feed sitting up and put him in cot after a feed...no co sleeping; try not to feed befire 3 hours is up

bakedpotato Sat 28-May-05 10:32:12

How did it go, popsycal?

popsycal Sat 28-May-05 10:43:57

it didnt

bakedpotato Sat 28-May-05 11:07:23

What happened?

popsycal Sat 28-May-05 11:10:28

i fed him in bed watching big brother and fell asleep and then he was there for the night

plan b - go to bed early so he is in his cot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now