Talk

Advanced search

BFing and swine flu?

(9 Posts)
westlondonmumof2 Mon 10-Aug-09 20:46:41

Trying not to get caught up in the hysteria around swine flu, but with news that the vaccines will begin to be offered in Sept I am trying to give some thought now...

Am currently BFing DD2 (15 weeks) and for various reasons (long story) was not anticipating going as long with DD1 (about a year), however, given swine flu am reconsidering.

Couple of Qs for the BFing experts on MN:
- Does BFing offer any additional protection, or is it just in the first few feeds that antibodies are passing from mother to baby?
- If antibodies are continually passed from mother to baby, if I were to be vaccinated, presumably my body would create antibodies that would pass into the breast milk and DD would receive? thus precluding the need for my DD to be vaccinated with a vaccine that, lets face it, has not been tested over the long term?
- If either of hte above are true, would it benefit DD1 to have some EBM?

Of course, if DD2 were to get ill there is the comfort factor of BF alone, but I am wondering what health benefits can be proven.

I know the merits/risks of the vaccine itself has/is being debated elsewhere on MN but I havent seen anything yet on BF and would like to hear if anyone has any information. Many thanks.

babypringle Mon 10-Aug-09 21:01:01

I've been wondering this too ...

thelollipoplady Mon 10-Aug-09 21:09:12

Just found this on link from kellymom.com... scary, eh?!

westlondonmumof2 Mon 10-Aug-09 21:12:23

thanks a lot, lollipop, will have a proper read of this tomorrow when not so tired. But lots to think about indeed. trying to remain calm/carry on but knowing my children are so vulnerable...

logrrl Mon 10-Aug-09 21:25:39

Followed that link...bloody hell! I don't express....

babypringle Mon 10-Aug-09 21:37:35

I find that advise really confusing and contradictory to everything else I have read. Surely a BF baby will be with its mum most of the time, and so if the mum develops swine flu there is a pretty high chance that the baby will too. So then what? Is it more important to not BF for the reasons the link suggests, or to BF to ensure that the baby keeps its fluid levels up and is comforted?

babypringle Mon 10-Aug-09 21:40:35

While I express, if DS2 was sick he'd be far more likely to take BF than expressed milk in bottles. Surely it would be more important for him to take on fluids in the way he felt most comfortable than to worry about a theoretical and unproved concern about the possibility of passing on flu??

IlanaK Mon 10-Aug-09 21:50:57

I think that was an american link. The advice here by the DoH is to continue breastfeeding if either mother or baby gets swine flu and there is no mention in their advice about expressing.

HoppityBunny Tue 11-Aug-09 21:45:36

I thought that advice was daft! Mother and baby shouldn't be separated no matter what. Cos if they are separated, the baby will be FF and that formula is likely to be baby's down fall especially in times of SF!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now