Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fighting with a 4 week old!

(9 Posts)
Cillapops Mon 10-Aug-09 10:50:20

I have a 4-week old and he has been feeding well and gaining lots of weight. For the last week I have found myself spending 3-4 hours constantly feeding in the evenings. Over the last couple of days he has started to get a bit grumpy and is waving his arms around and pulling off and then going back. Does this mean he is not getting enough? What can I do to stop the "fights" as he seems to get quite wound up. During the day he is fine.

caffeinelover Mon 10-Aug-09 10:53:54

it may be that he needs winding? My daughter used to do that and i remember the breastfeeding woman at the clinic telling me to try winding her and then put her back on and carry on feeding. sometimes they take so much in too quickly.

comewhinewithme Mon 10-Aug-09 10:57:35

Hi when my dd was around this age we would feed loads in the evening . She would also get stressed and I think it was my milk coming out to fast for her . I think it is called cluster feeding she was having a growth spurt too .

DD is 11 weeks (almost) now and a lot better and more settled in he evenings.

Kellymom has some really good advice.

Skillbo Mon 10-Aug-09 11:10:25

I agree with Caffeinelover that it could well be wind...

My little girl is exactly the same and if I manage to get a couple of burps out of her she settles right down...however, can also be wind from the other end which is a bit harder to ease unfortunately!

FrameyMcFrame Mon 10-Aug-09 11:22:42

sounds like he is cluster feeding in tthe evenings.

Cillapops Mon 10-Aug-09 12:00:07

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll see if things are better tonight.

wukter Mon 10-Aug-09 20:10:58

Mine is 7 weeks and the same, (disclaimer - I am no expert but) for me it was the milk coming too fast for her, as someone mentioned above. The milk would be spraying from my nipple. I caught it in a bib and when the flow became more manageable latched her back on. I keep her slightly upright as well, seems to help with the wind also. Good luck - every day learning something new with these littluns smile

thelollipoplady Mon 10-Aug-09 20:24:30

Cilla - you're having exactly the same experience as me! Brilliant feeder up till now. Pulling off - when I know he's hungry, fussing and crying at the breast. He's exactly 4 weeks too. You beat me to posting!

The Kellymom website is great for advice and reassurance about how to tell that your baby is getting enough. I'm telling my baby that if he doesn't sort himself out, it's SMA Gold for him!!

Hopefully we'll get more advice on here. My sympathies!

PfftTheMagicDragon Mon 10-Aug-09 20:29:57

DD used to do windmills with her arms when she was windy while feeding. Try taking him off and winding him periodically, see if it helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now