Talk

Advanced search

Oversupply or scary norks?

(7 Posts)
onehitwonder Sun 09-Aug-09 21:35:59

I have just pumped (hand pump) 2 oz in 3 minutes. Would this indicate an oversupply? I am trying to work this out as my 9 week old DS has today practically refused to nurse for more than few minutes at a time - pulling off and then refusing to go back on. He has also for at least 2 feeds today seemed really hungry (rooting etc) but literally screamed when I have tried to position him to feed and he has got near to my nipple sad. This has been going on for a few weeks, but usually only at the bedtime feed and perhaps the first morning feed but today was much worse. I feel like I have scary faces painted on my boobs. Nightime feed conversely are ok, he seems sleepy enough to feed happily (or perhaps he can't see the scary norks in the dark) grin.
I am grin here, but in reality I have been in tears several times today (and over the last week), trying to work out what is wrong.
Other things he does is lap at my nipple with his tongue sometimes once he has pulled off the breast.
I tried an afternoon of skin to skin, babymooning today, and managed one good feed of 30 minutes, but other than that, even when rooting the minute he got near my chest he screamed, so it wasn't the relaxing experience for either of us that I hoped it would be.
In the end DH gave him a bottle of expressed milk at bedtime as I just couldn't face the stress of another refusal to feed.
Could he be getting enough milk in very short feeds due to a fast letdown and over supply? Could this issue be making him reject the breast? What do I do about it?

He is gaining weight, about 1lb in the last 2 weeks and 6lb in total in the 9 weeks since birth.

I don't think it is reflux as although he is quite sicky, he doesn't seem be be uncomfortable between feeds.

I spoke to a breastfeeding supporter yesterday by phone and described the above, but she couldn't really say what the problem was and just said to try skin to skin.
I am going to try and see if I can get a breastfeeding councillor to watch a feed, but meanwhile, does any of the above ring a bell with anyone?

onehitwonder Sun 09-Aug-09 21:54:05

bump smile

onehitwonder Mon 10-Aug-09 08:21:31

bump smile

JetLi Mon 10-Aug-09 11:45:49

Hi onehitwonder - bumping for you.
Have you tried a biological nurturing position? - I'm wondering that if the letdown is too fast, this position might help as your letdown would be working against gravity. If my DD is stropping and fussing when feeding, she'll usually feed more happily in this position, with Mummy underneath and her in complete control.

onehitwonder Mon 10-Aug-09 13:29:09

Hi Jetli

Yes I was trying that yesterday, it worked for one feed, but then not subsequently not. Today I have fed him twice lying down with us tummy to tummy side by side, which is how I feed him at night. If I catch him straight after a nap, before he gets too awake and frantic, he seems to latch on ok in that position today.

I am also not assuming that he is hungry every time he is rooting today. He is going about 4 hours from start of feed to start of feed at night - that is him waking up by himself for feeds, so I think he can go 2 to 3 hours between feeds in the daytime? Perhaps I have been trying to feed him when he really wanted something else? A change, or just to comfort suck?

treedelivery Mon 10-Aug-09 13:31:46

I used to express the first @flush@ off, then put dd2 on. This was because my milk could do a good 2ft during letdown, so it was a bit much for her. Now she is bigger she can cope grin

Keep grin, it will helo get through it. Lot sof suggestions will come, I have to go feed mine!

JetLi Mon 10-Aug-09 17:54:30

I'm finding something similar today as you onehitwonder - she's screaming and rooting like mad and very often. I'm latching her on and she's doing a few big sucks followed by an almighty fart and then falling asleep blush - I think it may be an overdose of cauliflower and stuffing on my sunday dinner yesterday that's causing the wind grin
At least it's cauliflower I need to give up and not chocolate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now