Talk

Advanced search

Is Lansinoh available on prescription?

(6 Posts)
hairymelons Sun 09-Aug-09 00:42:30

If not, is there anything we can do about it?
It has just about saved my BFing life several times in the last 14 months but it's so expensive!
I've seen a couple of people posting recently who say they've heard it's good but can't afford it. That, frankly, is not fair.
Anyone know what the score is with NHS treatment of sore BFing nips?
Thanks

pseudoname Sun 09-Aug-09 06:15:16

I think your HV or GP can prescribe it saving you the £££.

EldonAve Sun 09-Aug-09 06:25:09

yes
they can also prescribe kamillosan

hairymelons Sun 09-Aug-09 08:59:43

Ok great. I'll just tear up that letter to my MP then

undomesticatedgoddess Sun 09-Aug-09 12:17:05

I've checked the 'black list' in the drug tarriff and it's NOT on there so is prescribable.

However PCTs have their own black lists in addition the the national one.

I would point out however, that if lansinoh is prescribed and you keep BFing, it is saving the NHS money in the short term due to reductions in respiratory / GI infections in childhood and long term due to reductions in diabetes and certain cancers in the mother to name but a few.

If you need to go down the MP route I'd also recommend you contact PALS (patient advice liaison service) at your PCT.

In the meantime sainsbo's had it half price but not sure if that offer is still on.
HTH

hairymelons Sun 09-Aug-09 20:09:54

Thanks! I wasn't really thinking for myself, just thought that it should be available in general.
In fact, it would be nice if you could just get a tube off your midwife along with the bounty pack!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now