Talk

Advanced search

5mo's feeding habits are really getting to me

(9 Posts)
jaz2 Sat 08-Aug-09 16:13:42

My DD is 5mo and her demand led feeding has led to a rediculous feeding "timetableW that I don't know how to adjust to a more reasonable one for a 5mo. Suggestions would be welcomed - I don't know where to start.

Basically, she feeds (BF) at:
2am, 4am, 8am (TINY tiny feed), 9.30am, 12.30pm (mini feed), 3.30pm, 7pm, then a formula feed at 10.15pm (she wakes up howling for it).
Half the feeds she is really fractious, distracted and clamping down and pulling off. Get's really cross with my let-down.

The late evening feed has been formula since she was 4mo and she takes anything from 3oz - 7oz. When she stops there is no re-starting her (tho we haven't tried changing her nappy).

She's on the 75th percentile, (and has been since 3weeks old, so no worries about her fading away/over-eating.

DS was a wonderful feeder, found his own 3 hourly routine and no messing with feeding. Drained his dreamfeed bottle and by now was down to one night feed. I BF him until 11mo, but with DD I'm close to giving up now.

Help please!!

smallblessings Sat 08-Aug-09 16:50:51

Oh I don't know. My nearly 5 month old is no sort of schedule at all, was waking 5 times some nights then a few weeks ago this changed to once or twice a night - now has a cold so up (what feels like) all night!

I want swap to formula when she is fully weaned anyway (although she won't take a bottle!) at least for the day time feeds.

Do you want to stop BF? As you are aware formula does not neccessarily mean more sleep. Hope someone with more useful help comes along soon! smile

smallblessings Sat 08-Aug-09 19:14:12

bump

jaz2 Sat 08-Aug-09 19:28:21

Thanks smallblessings. I do know that formula doesn't necessarily mean more sleep.

Surely someone has a suggestion...?

iwantitnow Sat 08-Aug-09 21:33:00

My DS at nearly 5 months has two night feeds, EBF most nights sometimes 1 or 3 but I don't do a dreamfeed. I would suggest trying to feed more during the day it doesn't seem she is taking enough during the day - is she getting distracted. Take to a calm room and feed more and bigger feeds during the day. The pulling off may be teething DS doing the same at the moment but his front two teeth are coming through now.

smallblessings Sat 08-Aug-09 21:54:43

I guess once your baby (and mine) are fully weaned they may sleep better and at that stage i would be happy to stop giving milk in the night and give a cuddle or water. smile

jaz2 Sat 08-Aug-09 23:03:26

I have tried to get DD to feed more during the day - especially on days when DS is at nursery so things are calmer. But she won't have any of it. And basically, I can't force her to feed if she's just not interested.

I am doubting whether it's teeth coming through with DD. Whilst she is dribbling quite a lot (but so did DS at 4-5mo) and unlike DS she chews everything, it would be odd for her to get teeth so young compared to DS? He was far behind his peers in the teeth stakes: didn't have any teeth until he was 11mo, and at 2yo he only had 4!

I'm starting DD on small amounts of baby rice next week, so will see if that has any impact.

hairymelons Sun 09-Aug-09 09:56:18

Don't discount teething, it really sounds like it could be. Try treating it as such and see if that helps.
My DS started teething at 11 weeks but didn't get a tooth through until 11mo! Fun.
I don't know how you feel about using painkillers but it made a massive difference to how my DS fed & slept.

Mamulik Sun 09-Aug-09 10:54:26

BF your baby what a fantastic thing to do, please dont be cross with her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now