Talk

Advanced search

TMI - Brown Goo

(2 Posts)
Skillbo Sat 08-Aug-09 12:29:55

I'm sorry - this might be a bit graphic...

My DD is two months this weekend and we had our 6/8 week check yesterday. We are both fine, which is great news.

However, I am still getting some brown discharge - some days heavier than others - and I asked the GP if this was normal. She asked if I was breastfeeding and when I said yes, she said not to worry about it. When I asked her when it was likely to stop, she was very vague but stressed it wasn't anything to worry about.

I wondered if anyone had a similar experience just so I know this is perfectly normal...it's just I was expecting to bleed etc for a few weeks but it's been a couple of months and I don't want to be wearing panty liners for the next six months!

I am on the micropill now as we're not ready for a sibling for our DD just quite yet and I wondered if that might be having an effect as well?

Thanks in advance for putting my mind at ease!

whomovedmychocolate Sat 08-Aug-09 17:02:57

My experience is that breastfeeding makes no difference to lochia - except in the first 24 hours when feeding may cause a flood as the uterus contracts. Generally after six weeks if flow increases it should be checked in case you have an infection. Particularly if it smells. Brown Goo is old stuff sloughing off the lining of the uterus. It looks very odd but it's not harmful.

Micropill may be playing havoc with your hormones as well, so you may be having a faux period on top of everything else (urgh!) Best thing is probably to wait two weeks and see if it stops and if not go back and ask for swabs to be taken to rule out anything infectious which needs treating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now