Talk

Advanced search

Who else makes electric breast pumps other than medela?

(26 Posts)
beatie Wed 25-May-05 13:11:07

I am looking to buy one within the next few months and notice that the Medela electric breast pump cannot be sterelized in the microwave.

What other brands of electric pump are there?
Do you think there are any out there which can be microwave sterilised?

PiccadillyCircus Wed 25-May-05 13:17:52

I think Avent do one. But I have no idea on how it can be sterlised.

throckenholt Wed 25-May-05 13:30:03

ameda lactaline - have a look at their website - I am not sure about microwave steriliser - certainly it can be done with steam steriliser.

sommer2000 Wed 25-May-05 21:30:37

I have an ameda lactaline. It's great but can't be steralised in a microwave

uwila Wed 25-May-05 22:06:50

I was at mothercare today and saw that Avent does one, but it comes as a package of evrything you need (bottles, bag, etc.) and costs £250. . I bought a medela 2 years ago and ut has never worked very well. In fact I threw it in the bin today.

chipmonkey Wed 25-May-05 23:24:56

The Avent one looks great! The sterilisable parts are the same as their Isis pump and those can be microwaved, but you can e-mail Avent on the website to be sure.

beatie Thu 26-May-05 07:57:32

Can anyone find it on-line separately and not in that £250 package I can't.

uwila Thu 26-May-05 10:58:16

It looks like it's new and only sold at Mothercare and direct from Avent... both for £250. Wow. I'm surprised at this price. The medela I had cost around £45... but then perhaps I got what I paid for.

uwila Thu 26-May-05 11:02:33

See Avent Isis Duo

chipmonkey Thu 26-May-05 11:57:55

uwila, was your Medela one a double pump?

chipmonkey Thu 26-May-05 12:03:34

Beatie, its brand new and not even available from avent in America, only in the UK. It is very expensive. Dh was shocked at the price when I told him! But it is exactly what I'm looking for. With all of the others there are reasons not to buy them i.e pumping into narrow-necked bottles, not being able to use microwave steriliser etc.

beatie Thu 26-May-05 12:08:26

Too expensive for me when this is my last baby. I might have to get a medela and accept that I can't microwave sterilise it.

Does the Medela no fit on regular sized bottles?

chipmonkey Thu 26-May-05 12:25:38

The Medela fits on old-style narrow-necked bottles but not on wide necked Avent-style bottles. The first pump I ever had pumped into narrow bottles and ds1 was on Avent bottles. It was messy having to pour milk from one to the other. I've had an ordinary Isis pump for ds2 and ds3 which is great (although ds3 has just gone through a phase where he refused ALL bottles!) but my problem is that in work I will only have 15 minute sessions to pump and I want to double-pump.

beatie Thu 26-May-05 13:11:52

Whoa - just 15 minutes! That doesn't sound like much. Is that as much as the law says you're entitled to? Hope the Avent electric lives up to the job. I am sure it will and you'll be able to sell it on for quite s um afterwards.

chipmonkey Thu 26-May-05 14:14:30

beatie, I'm in Ireland. The law here states that a nursing mother is entitled to a total of one hour for pumping TILL THE BABY IS 6 MONTHS OLD. No good to me at all as he'll be 6 months old when I go back and my boss/manager are not pro-breastfeeding

beatie Thu 26-May-05 14:24:59

Oh - what a shame chipmonkey Hopefully by that time your DS won't need too much breastmilk in your absence and the 15 minute sessions will be plenty.

florenceuk Thu 26-May-05 18:01:37

I think motherinferior is the queen of breast pumps, and thoroughly recommends the Ameda - I also use this one and it is great - a pumping session can definitely be completed in as little as 15min. I transfer the milk (to Avent bottles) but haven't found it that much of a pain, it does depend on your set up though. As your baby will be past six months, you can get away with being a little less careful re sterilization - I run it through the dishwasher each night and sterilise after 3 days use. I bought a little travel steam steriliser which is a bit of a pain to use but takes up not much space. And to tell the truth, could probably get away with less given what else baby puts in her mouth!

Joseyjo Mon 30-May-05 21:46:28

sorry to hijack your thread, but I am just researching electric breast pumps in preparation for my baby (due in sept). i was going to buy avent bottles and my friend used to have an avent double electric breast pump (irritatingly she sold it before i could confess my pg!!). i was planning to get one of those, but i have just learnt that the only one avent seem to make is shockingly expensive.
so my question is this... the ameda one looks ok and everyone's reviews seem really positive but is it a pain to transfer milk from the two bottles you get with it into avent ones or freezer bags? and given that i haven't done this before , am i likely to be transfering mostly into bags or bottles? can i buy ameda bottles and just use them? if i do that, will i have to get an ameda steriliser so that they fit?!!! hope someone has sufficient time and enthusiasm to answer my questions and thanks in advance!

sommer2000 Mon 30-May-05 22:52:14

the ameda lactaline cost £75 including overnight delivery from Amedademon.co.uk. Had to laugh came with big stickers all over box urgent medical equipment do not fail to deliver

mears Mon 30-May-05 22:55:25

Can I ask why you need an electric breast pump beatie?

Hand expressing into sterilised wide neck bottles is extremely cheap and faster that a pump IME.

starlover Mon 30-May-05 22:55:27

joseyjo... medela make breastmilk bags that fit onto the ameda/medela pumps so you express straight into it.

I never knew you couldn't sterilise the stuff in microwave... i always do! SEriously.. have used it for over a month and never had a prob

Joseyjo Tue 31-May-05 11:59:45

mears - i am hoping to express in the evenings so that dh can give baby the late night feed, enabling me to get more kip in!!! my sister and bf both did this and swore by their electric pump as it meant they could go to sleep sooner! it also does both boobs at once.
i am not too bothered about the money as they seem to hold their value quite well.
would you not recommend this pump for any reason other than money then?
thanks in advance for your advice...

Joseyjo Tue 31-May-05 12:00:51

starlover - thanks for that. i found the freezer bags on the same site as the pump, but was going to buy the ones from boots!! good thinking though

pupuce Tue 31-May-05 12:36:37

joseyjo - hand expressing costs nothing and is very handy. Once you get the knack it's very easy !
Also there is no sterilising needed of any pump!

Bellybee Wed 15-Jun-05 20:39:38

Hand expressing worked really well for me in the end although I know loads of people who couldn't manage it - I guess it depends on the boobs! However I did work my way through the Avent, medela Symphony and medela mini electric until I discovered the fabulous Ameda lactaline which I bought on a great site called . as for sterilizing, I use the Milton solution which is by far the cheapest and easiest option (as long as you prepare it in advance, the stuff is ready for use there and then). As for storage, I love the medela bags and also found the Axifeed bottles fantastic.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: