Talk

Advanced search

I'm sure breast feeding makes me smell

(25 Posts)
JustcallmeDog Fri 07-Aug-09 17:08:07

Message withdrawn

CookieMonster2 Fri 07-Aug-09 17:59:13

It might just be that your sense of smell is still very sensitive. I don't think mine is as bad as it was when I was pregnant but its still pretty sensitive.

comewhinewithme Fri 07-Aug-09 18:00:36

I tend to erm sweat more since I started BF blush.

My dd told me today my armpits were strong hmm.

peppapighastakenovermylife Fri 07-Aug-09 18:24:42

I sweat more when I breastfeed - I get hotter, probably not helped by the fact I also get fat when I breastfeed. Wow what a lovely image lol grin on the plus side I have fantastic breasts wink

I think its hormones - I get it during pregnancy too. I remember it stopping last time when I stoppped.

undomesticatedgoddess Fri 07-Aug-09 19:40:39

I am sooooooo glad I'm not the only one.

I'm not generally a sweaty / smelly person. I definitely smell of BO more since BFing.

Came to the conclusion it was another of mother natures tricks to improve the mother / baby bond.

Baby's eyesight may be rubbish but by god they can smell you!

trixymalixy Fri 07-Aug-09 19:48:54

I definitely smell more since breastfeeding my DS. It didn't go away after i stopped either sad.

JustcallmeDog Fri 07-Aug-09 20:26:28

Message withdrawn

KEAWYED Fri 07-Aug-09 20:30:06

I get very sweaty when BF. The glamour of it all.

Saggy belly, leaky boobs, sweaty pits.

It's a good job we love them grin

KEAWYED Fri 07-Aug-09 20:30:53

Plus not overly fragrant down below. A bit pongy. blush

JustcallmeDog Mon 10-Aug-09 12:05:52

Message withdrawn

LoveBeingAMummy Mon 10-Aug-09 12:10:49

Me too!

LovelyTinOfSpam Mon 10-Aug-09 12:11:12

I deffo stink when BF.

Is v glam.

nct73 Tue 11-Aug-09 16:39:44

I also feel pungent. Have been very leaky even with pads which means I smell of rancid milk & sweat in this hot weather.

nct73 Tue 11-Aug-09 16:42:37

There was a revolting smell in the living room which was eventually traced to a breast pad which had fallen down the side of the sofa when feeding which had "gone off" blush

JustcallmeDog Tue 11-Aug-09 17:49:40

Message withdrawn

mathanxiety Fri 14-Aug-09 08:17:37

Breastmilk is a modified form of sweat, so maybe the extra pit smell is due to a bit of extra sweating accompanying the letdown reflex? Also, you are probably still feeling the benefit of that heightened sense of smell. You could try the clinical strength deodorant if it is really an issue. Definitely change those pads frequently, hang the expense, just get out and buy more. And cotton knickers for the ahem lady bits..

Also -- you're still carrying around a lot of extra fluids from being pregnant and it all has to come out somehow or your blood pressure would skyrocket. Don't know how many extra pints of blood you gain while pregnant, but you didn't bleed it all out during delivery. There's still a lot floating around inside you. Drink water to keep yourself flushed out. Get a fan to keep the house ventilated?

CantSleepWontSleep Fri 14-Aug-09 08:23:14

'Breastmilk is a modified form of sweat' - where on earth do you make this stuff up from?!

4andnotout Fri 14-Aug-09 08:35:14

Technically the mamamary gland is a modified sweat gland.

JustcallmeDog Fri 14-Aug-09 09:31:57

Message withdrawn

mathanxiety Fri 14-Aug-09 21:00:37

I remember waking up literally in a soaked bed in the week right after delivery (thought I had had an accident or a hot flash or something), and that happened every time. Also I remember wearing very light clothes even though the weather wasn't especially fine, so probably felt a bit hotter than normal. I'm usually quite a sweaty person at the best of times, so it wasn't that much of a shock to me to be sweaty.
Maybe if you changed to a different soap, something more organic, or just rinse off without soap, or change laundry detergent it might help. You might have become sensitive to dyes, perfumes or other chemicals during pregnancy and this might be affecting how your skin works? This could all be hooey, but pregnancy does mess up your immune system.

mathanxiety Fri 14-Aug-09 23:20:19

I'm back again. I looked up webmd.com about the excessive sweating. Maybe you should have your thyroid checked out, and also do a test for diabetes. Hyperthyroidism and diabetes both have excessive sweating as symptoms. Thyroid problems sometimes occur in women who have recently had a baby. Obviously there are other symptoms, but the thyroid has a role in maintaining the body's temperature, and excessive sweating, or more than is normal for you, may indicate something is out of whack. I would go and have some tests done.

JustcallmeDog Sat 15-Aug-09 09:01:10

Message withdrawn

MLmum Sat 22-Aug-09 15:29:28

I thought for the first few weeks that it was my milk that reeked but then I realised it was boob sweat! And why is it that this sweat smells different to sweat from the rest of the body??

PleaseMrsButler Sat 22-Aug-09 15:32:37

Your breasts are basically sweat glands...so your body is evolutionarily still trying to diverge them. In the meantime we have to put up with increased milk production (i.e. during and after pregnancy) being linked with increased sweating. Perfectly normal.

PleaseMrsButler Sat 22-Aug-09 15:35:20

<another related by diversionary point is that your breast tissue goes all the way up nto your armpits...so when checking for lumps make sure you check towards your armpits too. It is possibel to get breast cancer in the armpit>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now