Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used a chiropractor for sucking problems?

(4 Posts)
TurtleAnn Fri 07-Aug-09 12:36:07

I was recommended to see a chiropractor by a friend. It seems to have helped her baby.

Mine has sucking problems:
- couldn't breastfeed (hospitalised with dehydration)
- and when swapped to bottles wasn't able to feed properly (2-hours to suck 100mls)
- even now at 4-months he still can only feed successfully from 1 bottle teat with 1 consistency (down to 15 mins with the mothercare variable teat).

I am residually angry that HCP's don't care once they swap you to formula and the child starts to gain weight, it could have taken DS all night to feed from a bottle and they would have kept saying 'oh its fine, he's gaining weight'.

Has anyone else had any experience of using chiropractors with little babies?
Did it work long-term?
Did you feel that you got an adequate answer about your childs feeding difficulties?

CarGirl Fri 07-Aug-09 12:39:20

I've used cranial osteopaths and would recommend it for babies for all sorts of problems. I've never heard of chripractors treating babies for this kind of problem though.

Mine had a lot of tension and we had problems breast feeding which the CO changed for us.

Picante Fri 07-Aug-09 12:41:14

Ditto what cargirl said. DS saw a cranial osteopath for his head and neck, and he also 'tested' his suck which luckily didn't need too much attention but he knew a lot about it.

TomThumbMum Fri 07-Aug-09 16:15:09

my ds is also seeing a cranial osteopath, has helped massively with issues after a ventuse delivery. Ds is now 16wks and a different baby - he would not lie flat and he constantly wanted to suck, he was diagnosed with tension headaches. I believe they can assist with lots of problems including feeding. It is probably the same as the chiroprator as our osteopath also does this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now