Talk

Advanced search

What counts as exclusive BF?

(9 Posts)
FrumpyPumpy Fri 07-Aug-09 09:23:14

At the risk of sounding really quite stupid what constitudes exclusive BF?

DS is 19 weeks and BF. He also has EBM feeds and has had formula in the past: About 20 feeds up to 8 weeks, one FF at 11 weeks, and one FF at 15wks (because ran out of EBM and wanted to drink go out for dinner with friends).

Does this count as Exclusive?

I know it does not really matter, he's doing well on what's he's had and that's the main thing.

FrumpyPumpy Fri 07-Aug-09 09:24:35

constitutes

GirlsAreLoud Fri 07-Aug-09 09:26:31

He's not been exclusively breastfed if he's had formula. However, I believe the theory regarding the virgin gut is that once you lay off the formula it can repair itself.

FlappyTheBat Fri 07-Aug-09 09:30:16

Exclusive breast feeding means no formula at all.

So no, having had formula milk in the past means that your ds can't be considered as having been exclusively breast fed.

FrumpyPumpy Fri 07-Aug-09 09:30:33

Yes of course. I knew it was a stupid question. I am usually able to think for myself, honest.

FlappyTheBat Fri 07-Aug-09 09:31:21

that's just part of being a mum grin

FrumpyPumpy Fri 07-Aug-09 09:31:32

Anyone got any good ideas for new MN names?

tiktok Fri 07-Aug-09 09:37:35

Tricky - this definition is from a briefing from NICE, based on WHO definitions (the numbers refer to the list in a glossary of terms):

1. Initiation of breastfeeding: the mother is defined as having initiated
breastfeeding if, within the first 48 hours of birth, either she puts the baby to the
breast or the baby is given any of the mothers breast milk (Department of Health
2005) www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/07/16/96/04071696.pdf

2. Predominant breastfeeding: the infant’s predominant source of nourishment is
breast milk. The infant may also receive water or water-based drinks (such as
sweetened or flavoured waters, teas and infusions); fruit juice; oral rehydration salts
(ORS); drop and syrup forms of vitamins, minerals and medicines, and folk fluids
(liquids used for non-nutritional purposes, such as oil to relieve constipation) in
limited quantities. With the exception of fruit juice and sugar water, no food based
fluid is allowed under this definition (WHO 1991).

3. Exclusive breastfeeding: the infant has received only breast milk from his/her
mother or a wet nurse, or expressed milk and no other liquids, or solids with the
exception of drops or syrups consisting of vitamins, mineral supplements, or
medicines (WHO 1991).

Currently, your baby is exclusively breastfed. He has always been predominantly breastfed. Hope that helps

FrumpyPumpy Fri 07-Aug-09 09:58:03

Yes it does! Thank you all. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now