Talk

Advanced search

Post here your formula company sponsorship-related finds

(11 Posts)
hunkermunker Fri 07-Aug-09 00:24:59

http://www.smahcp.co.uk/Professional-know-how/Resources-for-HCPs/Study-days/Information/tabid/726/De fault.aspx

I'm not linking direct, because they'll be able to see where the hits are coming from.

This one is for:

"Contemporary Issues in Midwifery Practice

Recognition of third and fourth degree tears and perineal repair"

WTF has that to do with infant formula, please?

Stretch Fri 07-Aug-09 00:33:57

I clicked through to the mum's site. What is breastmilk fortifier???

It says, "Early arrivals have nutritional needs that are not always met by breast milk alone" Is that true???

hunkermunker Fri 07-Aug-09 00:41:50

http://www.in-practice.co.uk/pageFuture+Study+Daysid-22.html

Aw, bless them, Cow & Gate very charitably running domestic violence awareness sessions.

Oh, hang on...

Here's the programme:

Louise Keen NHSPM Danone baby
Prebiotics and the latest health outcome data

Wendy Huckle Freelance trainer and consultant
Domestic violence: The Local Picture

Key Learning Outcomes:

1. To recognise domestic violence as a process of abuse
2. To explore how women behave at various stages of the process
3. To identify appropriate responses for each stage
4. To identify where the work of delagates fits into the process

WTF have Danone baby prebiotics and health outcome data to do with domestic violence?!

hunkermunker Fri 07-Aug-09 01:02:24

"

Home > In Practice for healthcare professionals
In Practice for healthcare professionals

Cow & Gate want to provide healthcare professionals with the resources, training and support you need, when you need it. It’s our aim to help your work with parents through a unique club designed for and with healthcare professionals.

We recognise that health visitors and midwives are continually facing the challenge of tight budgets and limited time. So we devised the In Practice club to try to help address some of your problems.

In Practice offers a friendly, educational resource to support healthcare professionals working with parents and babies. Membership is free to qualifying healthcare professionals.

Once you join, you’ll be given your own PIN number that gives you membership privileges such as unlimited access to the In Practice network, an unrivalled resource for professionals. You’ll receive a newsletter, exclusive offers on educational items, and priority invitations to events. New and relevant services are added regularly to ensure that In Practice is tailored to meet the needs of its members.

Since its launch at the RCM in 1999, In Practice has attracted over 30,000 members, who take advantage of many exciting initiatives in positive parenting. This year the whole look of the club was re-designed to bring it right up to date.

In Practice is an educational initiative supported by Cow & Gate."

Bless them for their charity and endeavour, the underhand <expletive deleted>

tiktok Fri 07-Aug-09 08:30:06

Stretch - breastmilk fortifier is a cows milk based concentrated formula. Its use is fairly mainstream for very, very pre-term babies. Pre-term breast milk is suitable for pre-terms but the thinking is it may not be enough....that shouldn't be surprising. Nature has not caught up with the fact that babies as young as 24 weeks can be born and survive with intensive care and treatment , and so there is no reason why mothers would have evolved to make milk that fully sustains them. Pre-term babies need concentrated calories to enable them to do the growing they would otherwise have done in utero.

hunker - formula companies are offering training in the new growth charts. This is roundly pissing off the team behind the development
www.bmj.com/cgi/eletters/338/may08_1/b1892#213494

hunkermunker Fri 07-Aug-09 10:33:49

I can well imagine, Tiktok. Here's some: http://www.smahcp.co.uk/Default.aspx?TabId=771

The stuff for health professionals is VERY sneaky, isn't it?

Just out of interest - the 2005 Infant Feeding Study says that half of all mothers make up feeds incorrectly - I would imagine that's to do with temperature of the water as well as too many/too few scoops?

On their quiz for HCPs, there's NO mention of unsterility of powder or reason for the importance of the temperature of the water.

Fascinating, what they leave out of their "education" stuff.

I do wish Politics Of Breastfeeding was mandatory reading for HCPs...

Stretch Fri 07-Aug-09 17:50:26

Thanks tiktok, just wondering as my friend is having twins and will probably be prem. She wants to give breastfeeding a good go and knows (from previous experiences) that the hospital like to give out formula for every reason. They won't be under 30 weeks though.

Hunker - my brother and his girlfriend make up their babies feed without leveling off the powder first, so there is too much powder going in. Apparently, all their friends and 'everyone' they know does it like that.

hunkermunker Fri 07-Aug-09 18:05:56

Crumbs, I wonder how much extra powder they use?

Wonder why they do - it's not as if it's a chore to scrape it and they must get through the powder far more quickly like that?

Waste of money, quite APART from the dehydration/overfeeding risk.

elkiedee Fri 07-Aug-09 22:12:24

What shocking links. I'm quite disturbed by SMA producing elearning modules that HCPs can do as "Continuing Professional Development". As a mum who has failed to breastfeed ds1 and only succeeded with ds2 by asking repeatedly for help, I'm really upset by the idea of other mothers having the support of HCPs who have done this training rather than something like this. I would like my midwives and HVs to have ongoing training/CPD on programmes drawn up within the NHS or at least for them, based on learning goals set according to identified needs and aims of the service.

hunkermunker Fri 07-Aug-09 23:15:42

The secrecy around what's out there for HCPs is infuriating.

The Politics Of Breastfeeding is fascinating about the link between formula provision and the medical establishment.

Did you know, for instance, that individual recipes were devised for each baby initially?

And then they realised that it was too time-consuming and expensive to do it thus and went for same for all.

But there has always been a "you scratch our back, we'll scratch yours" flavour to the relationship, for sure. You can see it still in Third World countries - formula manufacturers paying for air conditioning and cars for doctors who recommend their products (either overtly or in the form of branded items and free samples).

Here, it's "free training" and "study days" and "know-how info". I wonder whether the Government likes it - because it saves them a job? Quite apart from the fact that statistically, formula-fed babies cost the NHS far more than bf ones.

CharCharGabor Fri 07-Aug-09 23:25:03

Grrrr, this stuff makes me so angry I've had Politics of Bfing saved in my favourites to buy but other things keep coming up, can't wait to read it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now