Talk

Advanced search

Follow-on milk & 4-month old?

(10 Posts)
TurtleAnn Thu 06-Aug-09 21:20:20

Can I give my 4-month old follow-on milk?

- FF - long complicated story but FF is what is happening.
- Using C&G Ready Made Milk 1
- Very fussy baby who wont take powdered formula (just quenches thirst with 50mls and then refuses more)

There is currently a huge supply issue of C&G Ready Made Milk 1 in London. I haven't been able to get any for 4 weeks now and have tried other formulas to no avail (powdered, different brands etc).

A friend told me that follow-on milk is the same stuff and it is just a marketing tool. There is loads of this in the shops, so does anyone know if I can give this to my 16-week old?

LIZS Thu 06-Aug-09 21:25:18

Follow on isn't the same as infant formula(maybe she was thinking of hungrier baby ) . You'd be better finding an alternative equivalent to the C and G.

Follow on is a marketing tool but as a vehicle for advertising their brand (ie the infant formulae by association), not because it is the same and therfore suitable for younger babies. It isn't necessary to be used at all as infant ones are fine until a year.

TurtleAnn Thu 06-Aug-09 21:31:18

Thanks, I had a feeling that would be the response.
I will keep searching for C&G & alternative Ready Made's. I don't own a car so travelling to supermarkets outside my local area is really hard, and really disappointing as when I get there they only have 2 days worth max. and I know I am going to have to repeat the hunt tomorrow...

drinkyourmilk Thu 06-Aug-09 21:33:16

will a local pharmacy order some in for you? Mine would have, so worth asking.

LuluMaman Thu 06-Aug-09 21:33:53

follow on is not the same and not suitable for a 4 month old.. thikn it is to do with the iron levels

have you tried a ready made milk of another brand?

drinkyourmilk Thu 06-Aug-09 21:36:46

Or try online shopping? Boots may stock it aswell as supermarkets.

TurtleAnn Thu 06-Aug-09 21:39:48

I am using Aptamil (made by the same company as C&G) which he is taking (not brilliantly but much better than the powdered stuff). But this depends on when I find it, I have enough to get to the end of tomorrow then I'm out again!
I am thinking of trying 'Nurture' Ready Made, my local supermarket had 4 boxes of that today (enough for Saturday).

I cant order some as the supply problem is with C&G. I telephoned them a couple of weeks ago and they said it was a factory problem and couldn't give me a date for resolution.
Thanks

TurtleAnn Thu 06-Aug-09 21:41:21

Out completely at Tesco, Sainsburys, Ocado, Boots and local chemist for the last 3-weeks.
Honestly, you wouldn't think I lived in the the heart of London!

drinkyourmilk Thu 06-Aug-09 21:48:18

God that's such a pain, Really don't know what else to suggest. maybe a lovely mnetter can post you some if you're desperate? We're in Germany now alas or i'd offer.

trixymalixy Thu 06-Aug-09 21:50:48

What is going on with the supply of ready made formula? I have seen loads of threads on this recently and when I tried to buy some myself as a back up (intending to bf) I got the last 2 cartons in the shop!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now