Talk

Advanced search

how much alcohol when breast feeding?

(12 Posts)
shelsco Thu 06-Aug-09 19:46:12

My DS is 16 weeks and I'm breast feeding him. He won't take a bottle at all and feeds very frequently on an evening and, now he's getting ready for weaning, a couple of times during the night too! the thing is i really fancy a couple of glasses of wine and i'm not sure how safe it is. I've heard that you should wait 2 -3 hours after driniking to feed but if he's hungry, he's hungry! Anybody bf baby and drink wine too?

hercules1 Thu 06-Aug-09 19:47:00

As long as you dont get pissed it's fine. No reason to wait to feed.

hercules1 Thu 06-Aug-09 19:47:35

I remember how nice it was to bf and have a glass of wine in one hand.

hercules1 Thu 06-Aug-09 19:48:28

BTW he's not getting ready for weaning, more likely a growth spurt at this age - very common.

AnarchyAunt Thu 06-Aug-09 19:50:29

Yeah go for it smile

A couple of glasses of wine is fine.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 06-Aug-09 19:51:21

go on, have a drink! hercules1 is right, it will be fine.

shelsco Thu 06-Aug-09 20:07:58

i know you're probably right. just i feel tipsy after only a couple of glasses and not sure if I feel tipsy how much will get through to DS! need some wine to calm me down and stop me worrying!

AnarchyAunt Thu 06-Aug-09 20:13:08

Really, very very little gets into your breastmilk. What Kellymom says - less than 2% of the alcohol you drink will be passed into the milk.

Is everything ok? Can anyone help with the worrying at all?

shelsco Thu 06-Aug-09 20:22:45

yeah thanks. just tend to over analyse things a bit! when internet says don't feed for a couple of hours to avoid problems in baby, i immediately panicked as know he won't go a couple of hours. daft really i know. Just have that feeling of great responsibility that comes with baby! i have 3 other DSs too! but didn't drink at all with them when breast fed so wasn't an issue. BTW if you think i'm worrying now, you should have seen me with DS1 when he was a baby!!

AnarchyAunt Thu 06-Aug-09 20:29:46

smile

TBH the whole 'avoid alcohol' message is unhelpful IMO as it just puts another barrier up in peoples' minds and makes BF seem more complicated than it is. A BF woman can drink a couple of glasses of wine every now and then with no need at all to worry, or pump and dump, or resort to formula for that night.

Put yer feet up and enjoy it!

1stMrsF Thu 06-Aug-09 21:28:29

How much alcohol when bf? As much as it takes to survive to fight another day...

ilovespagbol Sun 09-Aug-09 23:49:32

I always wondered about this too. I take on board the Kelly mum website advice. I bf exclusively till 6 months and had the odd glass of wine (two small was my limit, otherwise felt dreadful next day) and I enjoyed every sip in a way that I did not before when three large glasses was a drop in the ocean. Now DD is 9 months and sleeps through, I still have the 2 glasses in an evening at the weekends and enjoy it as much. Somethimes, after a bad day, the thought of that glass of wine got me through. smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now