Talk

Advanced search

Too much milk, silent reflux or just a big hungry baby?

(5 Posts)
ejbab Thu 06-Aug-09 11:17:52

The latest in my breastfeeding sob story...
DD2 is 3 months old and generally feeds every 2 hours, sometimes more frequently, day and night. According to my hospital's lactation consultant I have oversupply issues which is why I have had a couple of bouts of mastitis and in the early days DD2 used to like to clamp down on the boob and was always very fussy and overwhelmed during feeding. She starts crying and yelping a few minutes in and seems to continue to sob during 70% of day feeds (at night she's quite and content and too sleepy to make a noise).
After doing a couple of weeks of block feeding, and using several heads of cabbage, my supply seems to have settled and we're back on one breast per feed feeds. But she still feeds soooo frequently and last night after she fed at 1.30, 2.30, 3.30, 5 and 6 I was at my wits end and took myself off to my local baby clinic (staffed by health visitors).
First of all the HV weighs DD2 and she is 7.4 kg which means she's on like the 110% or something - basically off the scale - of those damn charts, having been born on the 75%. The health visitor asked about DD2s feeding habits and general digsetive behaviour (lots of hiccuping, being congested, farty, grunting and groaning at night etc) and then says she thinks DD2 has 'silent reflux' - which is apparently when the acid goes half way up the oesophogus (sp?) so it doesn't cause much vomiting like usual reflux, but can cause excessive breastfeeding (is there such a thing?) as the baby uses nursing to soothe the pain and hence becomes a big fat porker.
The HV said this was only a hunch and I should go to my GP to see what she thinks (have made appoint for Sat) but was just wondering what you wise ladies thought. Frankly am not holding out much hope that the GP will have any clue what's going on. I also spoke to the hospital lac consultant on the phone today and she said she didn't know anything about silent reflux and thought it still sounded like an oversupply/ forceful let down issue. I'm still not sure if this is the case because I never spray milk on DD2 when she comes off the boob or have soggy breastpads etc.
I'm obviously really distraught that all this time DD2 may have been in real pain and the thought of having to give her some kind of antacid or a stronger medicine worries me. But she is soooo unhappy while feeding there's got to be something going on, don't you think?
Thanks for reading if you've got this far.

hairymelons Thu 06-Aug-09 14:35:30

I can't help you myself as I didn't experience any of this but if you don't get any helpful replies soon, try 0845 120 2918 LLL helpline. Always sorted me out when I had BFing difficulties.
Good luck

hairymelons Fri 07-Aug-09 07:45:19

morning, I guess no-one felt qualified to respond...did you try the helpine?

ejbab Fri 07-Aug-09 11:52:05

Hi there
I'm not in England but will phone my local helpline. Actually am feeling a bit cross with myself for letting sleep deprivation get the better of me. My instinct today - having had a whopping 6hrs sleep meaning my brain is back (a bit) - says that DD2 is just a gutso and watching her carefully today and last night I really don't think she actually has reflux. Think it's just the old problem of over active letdown although I know there is a link between that and reflux.
In fact, I think that she's probably been crying and fussing 5/10 mins into a feed because she's done. And because I forget she's not a newborn anymore and is probably quite efficient these days, I insist of shoving my boob back in her mouth thinking that she needs to keep feeding. blush durrrr.

hairymelons Fri 07-Aug-09 20:23:10

Glad you're feeling more positive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now