Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed re acute Illness and milk supply issues, don't want to give up bf

(11 Posts)
moosemama Wed 05-Aug-09 13:48:41

I had 2 serious 'episodes' last weekend one involving the whole 999 shenanigan, one the emergency doctor.

Won't go into details, except to say it was gastric related, incredibly nasty and extremely painful with the end result that I have been left unable to eat or drink much.

I have so far managed to continue bf. Dh has always given dd (6 months) a bottle of ebm for her last night feed and we had a few feeds in the freezer (we would have had a lot more but he accidentally left the freezer door open last month and I lost 30 7oz feeds!).

My problem is that despite dd still feeding every 3 hours all day, due to my being dehydrated (only occasional sips of water) and unable to eat anything other than a zero fat yoghurt every few hours and half a banana every now and again, my milk supply is diminishing.

Now when I express at my usual time in the morning I am struggling to get 3 oz when before I would get 9-10. I have to express a whole feed for the last ebm bottle so that My medication is generally considered ok for bf, but I choose to take it overnight to reduce the amount in my milk as dd goes from 10.00/10.30 pm to 8.00/8.30 pm. I have been getting by expressing half in the morning and half in the evening, but its getting to the point that I'm not going to have enough.

She currently feeds:

8.00/8.30 am
11.00 am
2.00 pm
5.00 pm
8.00 pm
10.00 pm

Although since starting solids she has occasionally dropped the 8.00 pm feed.

I am concerned on two fronts really, first that she is not getting enough milk at each feed, as I can't express anywhere near the amount I could before and second that if the situation continues I may have to admit defeat and give up bf, which I really don't want to do.

Obvioulsy I don't want to supplement with formula as this will reduce demand and therefore diminish supply even further and in addition to that dd has been having constipation issued since weaning started. But I don't want her to be hungry and not get enough milk either.

Hopefully I shall be able to drink more and start eating regular small meals by early next week.

Hope I am making sense here, my brain is very foggy still.

Feel a bit like I'm between a rock and a hard place really.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

moondog Wed 05-Aug-09 16:25:02

Sorry you've been ill.
However the good news is that breastfeeding is incredibly resistant to illness and malnutrition in the mother.
If you want the baby to get more milk, jusy feed more.
What you can express is no indication of what is there.

alex7715 Wed 05-Aug-09 17:24:13

i agree with moondog on this one hunny baby to the breast is the best way for milk supply from experience xxxx

moosemama Wed 05-Aug-09 18:31:49

Thanks so much for your replies.

So even if I'm dehydrated I can still make enough milk for dd as long as I keep putting her to the breast more regularly?

That's such a relief, I've lost a stone since last Friday and really don't want to be the cause of dd going hungry, its bad enough that I have to! grin

treedelivery Wed 05-Aug-09 19:42:16

I am thinking that there is water stored in body fat, which will be mobilised as your body seeks to maintain it's mik supply.

moosemama Wed 05-Aug-09 21:21:34

Mmmm, but think of all those nasty toxins that are being released into her milk. sad Can't do right for doing wrong it seems.

treedelivery Wed 05-Aug-09 21:37:33

I did read about that somewhere...but what can you do?
If it is the case that releasing fat = release in toxins, then how does that balance against the toxins a cow is exposed to?
Plus this lack of calories should hopefully be a very short term thing.
As soon as some food and water comes your way you will be out of the fat burning zone.
Same goes in reverse if you choose to ff for a few days and go back to bfing. Its short term, a tiny window in months of excellent nutrition. And I suspect you have a great diet Moose.

We could drive ourselves crazy Moose.

All will be well, just get your gut sorted asap. Poor you!

moosemama Wed 05-Aug-09 22:06:25

'We could all drive ourselves crazy'

Ah Tree, there speaks the voice of experience. You talk a lot of sense, as usual.

Pass that bag over 'ere a mo, I'll shove my guilt in along with the rest! grin

treedelivery Wed 05-Aug-09 22:09:49

<<rustles bag under nose>>

moosemama Wed 05-Aug-09 22:54:25

<<wrestles guilt and drops it kicking and screaming into the bag>>

<<feels much better but totally exhausted and crawls off to bed>>

Cheer's m'dears! wink

treedelivery Wed 05-Aug-09 23:27:38

<<clubs GuiltGremlin into quite submission>>

<<wanders off whistling and in search of snacks>>

Night Moose. I really hope it feels better tomorrow. Poor poor you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now