Talk

Advanced search

I need a pat on the back. Or a kick up the bum!

(10 Posts)
TreeTrunkThighs Wed 05-Aug-09 13:01:59

As DD2 appraoches her 2nd birthday I am feeling a bit down beat about the fact that she is still breastfeeding.

I love that she still loves it. But it feels that this is the month for people to pass judgement. For about 6 months she has only 'fed' when she wakes up so these have been lovely, snuggly sofa or bed feeds.

Now she has started demanding boobles hmm after any minor upset. Which means we are doing it everywhere, in front of anyone. I even had to pop one out over the top of my cossie in the pool yesterday which was my most indiscreet feed ever!

My mate's DH asked me whether it was more for me or her at this age. It has never been about me.

Need to get rid of the negativity that has been planted there by people.

I just need a boost.

Remind me why we are still doing it. Please.

Skillbo Wed 05-Aug-09 13:18:23

Hello

I am afraid I don't have any experience of what you're going through as my daughter is only just 7 weeks old but I just wanted to let you know that there is absolutely NOTHING wring with feeding your little one at her age!

I am seeing a bf counsellor quite regularly as we are still struggling a bit here and she fed all three of her little girls until they were past two and is, rightly, proud of this.

Hav eyou actually received any negative comments or looks from others - in my very limited experience, you are probably way more aware than other people. And as for your mates hubby, how insensitive - I presume he is a good friend but nonetheless, that's going a bit far...feeding your little one is great but it sounds to me that you would like to be able to take it back to just the one or two feeds and so it is definitely more for your dd.

Don't let others sway you, it's totally you and your little one's decision - and it sounds to me as though maybe she isn't quite ready! I wonder if she had sensed you're planning on stopping and that's why she's gone overboard recently?

DitaVonCheese Wed 05-Aug-09 23:58:20

If it's her demanding it, how can it be about you?

If you don't like feeding her in public, can you teach her to wait (I appreciate this may be a very naive question!)?

You know that you're doing loads of fab stuff for her from a health POV, not to mention the bonding/snuggles. And you're paving the way for those of us who come after you - including her

HoppityBunny Thu 06-Aug-09 11:50:43

You are still doing cos the health benefits still exists. Don't let people feed you garbage like "But you are just being a dummy to suck on"!? Believe me I have had it all! I BF all my children till 2-3 yrs and I am currently bfg my 3rd baby 5 mths.

If you are still enjoying that special bond, there's no reason to stop.

moondog Thu 06-Aug-09 11:56:25

Because she likes it and it is milk made to her exact requirements. Bespoke milk! .
That's a good enough reason in my book.

Bloody well done.
You need to smile sweetly at that bloke and say 'Snout out'.

TreeTrunkThighs Thu 06-Aug-09 20:30:21

THANKS!

Seriously, it was just what I needed.

However, I have done some soul-searching and have decided to have a go at distracting her when she asks for a feed to see what happens. My DH has joined in the "how much longer is this going to go on for" brigade, as has my mum. They are succeeding in grinding me down.

So it is a bit of an experiment really. If she can't be distracted from it then she can have it. If something else will do, then that's that.

Again, heartfelt thanks.

TTT

DitaVonCheese Thu 06-Aug-09 22:24:59

I don't think there is any shame in winding down just shy of two years - congrats on how far you have come

TreeTrunkThighs Fri 07-Aug-09 08:29:52

Thanks Dita!

You are right of course. It has been 24 hours now. She asked this morning a couple of times but breakfast, telly and juice distracted her. We'll see how we go.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 07-Aug-09 11:27:55

I hate this "It's more for you" bollocks.

To be honest I would really like to give up feeding my 2.6 ds but as I am feeding the baby I don't think it would go down well at all.

But please be proud of feeding your daughter, it is a fabulous achievement!

LeonieSoSleepy Fri 07-Aug-09 11:38:10

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now