Talk

Advanced search

Hungry baby formula - when would you use it?

(6 Posts)
Welshygirl Wed 05-Aug-09 10:55:34

Hi all

I have a large 4 month old baby (tall rather than chubby 9 14 when born) who is currently taking 210mls of formula 6 times a day. He seems to be having a growth spurt at the moment and started eating every 2 hours rather than 2.5-3 I am upping his formula to 240mls but was wondering whether to use Hungry baby or just get bigger bottles and up the formula again as he gets bigger. I want to leave weaning as long as possible as there are lots of food allergies in the family.

HappyChildminderBerkshire Wed 05-Aug-09 12:58:45

I'd ask your HV or even phone the formula company, but I wouldn't give stage 2 ("hungry baby") milk as it is hard for them to digest apparently and can make them more pudgy? As far as I'm aware its generally for babies over 6 months but again you should ask someone who knows for sure.

Seona1973 Wed 05-Aug-09 14:07:27

I used hungry milk from around 14 weeks as ds was more unsettled between feeds. It seemed to help although he didnt go much longer between feeds (he was more settled though). It is more casein dominant and can make your lo feel fuller for longer. It has the same calories as the first milk so is unlikely to cause excess weight gain. It never constipated either of my lo's. You can always try it and if it doesnt help just switch back to the first stage milk again. Hungry milk is marketed as being suitable from birth (The follow on formula is from 6 months)

you Wed 05-Aug-09 14:09:00

It won't make him more pudgy as it has the same amount of calories as the first stage formula. It's also suitable for babies under 6 months.

However, I'd personally stick with your usual formula for now and up the amounts to see how you go. I don't think there's anything wrong with the hungry formula per say but it's designed to be harder to digest (therefore keeping them full for longer) and I'm not sure I like the thought of that. TBH 210mls x6 for a large baby doesn't sound overly excessive, esp taking into consideration the 4 month growth spurt which can last a long time. Maybe up the amount, feed on demand and see where you are in a week or two?

CookieMonster2 Wed 05-Aug-09 14:28:29

I have a similar problem and have just been to the supermarket to investigate hungry baby formula. Looks fine to me so I have got some just to use for the last 2 feeds at night in the hope that this will get him back to sleeping through the night.

CyradisTheSeer Wed 05-Aug-09 23:15:37

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now