Talk

Advanced search

Help needed to dry up milk supply as I can't breastfeed. Do Sage capsules work?

(4 Posts)
Loobyfly Tue 04-Aug-09 21:24:08

I'm expecting my 3rd baby. I take a fairly high dose of anti-depressants and have been advised by my consultant not to breastfeed. I have accepted this and bottle fed my other 2 babies. However, I suffered severe pain with engorged boobs as I had loads of milk and obviously wasn't using any of it. Both times it took 2 weeks to go away and I was in agony with rock hard boobs and couldn't even put my arms by my sides.

I have used lots of painkillers, ice cold packs in my bra, savoy cabbage leaves.

I have read that Sage tea or capsules can help dry up breastmilk. Does anyone have any experience of this? Or any other effective solutions?

Thank you.

DitaVonCheese Tue 04-Aug-09 23:42:11

Can you definitely not breastfeed? I thought it was fine with a lot of ADs (some info on kellymom here). Sorry if that isn't useful, just something I have read on here

Not sure about the sage question, but bumping for you

DitaVonCheese Tue 04-Aug-09 23:44:30

Some stuff from kellymom on reducing suppy here.

tiktok Tue 04-Aug-09 23:47:30

Loobyfly - even high doses of anrtidepressants are not a reason for not bf - do check this if it is something you want to do.

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-in-breastmilk-information-and-factsheets.html is a good source of info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now