Talk

Advanced search

Latches one side but not other

(5 Posts)
redboxer Tue 04-Aug-09 15:57:16

Hi

I'm just getting to grips with breastfeeding, baby was born Friday 31st. I find he latches on really well to my left breast but when I try to get him on my right he immediately turns away with a look of discussed. I have started to express as I did have a few problems getting milk started due to difficult birth, so the right breast is producing good flow of milk, not quite as good as the one the baby prefers.

Hope this makes sense and look forward to your response.

Many thanks
Sue

tiktok Tue 04-Aug-09 16:04:12

Hi, redboxer and welcome to baby redboxer

This is day 5, so you should still have access to midwifery help - what has been done so far to support and help you?

Things to ask the midwife about are

* has any birth intervention or problem (forceps, ventouse, malpresentation) made your baby uncomfortable to feed on the right side?
* will he feed on the right side if you slide him along without actually turning him round, from the left?
* what happens with biological nurturing positions (google it or search mmumsnet)?

smallwhitecat Tue 04-Aug-09 16:15:57

Message withdrawn

jumpyjan Tue 04-Aug-09 16:17:06

watching with interest as DS is the same (apart from he prefers right side to left). We persevered (he is 3 months) but he takes a lot longer to latch onto left and keeps coming off.

Congratulations on your new baby.

redboxer Wed 05-Aug-09 17:17:49

Hi all, thanks for your replies..

Smallwhitecat you were right, I now latch him the the same arm and most of the time it works, obviously I'm still learning the technique .

I did do the NCT course so will probably go speak to them regarding the technique as I am getting slightly sore on that right breast.

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now