Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding seems to be going wrong with 8 wk old - Help!

(7 Posts)
onehitwonder Mon 03-Aug-09 20:55:01

Sorry this is going to be a long one:

8 week old DS has had a week or so of being progressively more fussy at the breast. Culminating today in a day where he has probably had 2 good feeds (finally after I have calmed him down enough to latch) from 8am to 8pm. He has fed a couple more times, but not for long at all. If his nappies had been normal ie nice and heavy, I wouldn't be worrying but, despite quite a lot of poo, his nappies have been very light which to me suggests not enough milk going in.

I have had a good look on Kellymom and think the following might be the problem (but was hoping for some thoughts/advice from others):

For the first 6 weeks or so, I have had what seemed to be a very abundant supply, to the point where it almost seemed too much for him, flooding him and causing him to pull off the breast (and squirting him in the eye frequently grin. His weight gain has been very good. However the last 2 weeks or so, his feeds have got shorter which I have assumed was him getting more efficient at emptying my breasts. The last few days my breasts have not really ever felt full and my let down is slower. So I am wondering - did he get used to the fast easy let down and get a bit lazy? Now my milk supply is less quick and easy is he fussing because of having to wait for the milk? I had assumed he was fussing because he wasn't hungry and didn't want feeding so perhaps gave up on feeds too quickly?

Does the above sound a likely reason for the fussing and lack of wee? If so what can I do about it?

I am really worried it will become a vicious circle, where he nurses less, so I produce less.

nb: I have been expressing 4oz or so for DH to give the 10pm (or whenever he wakes after that) feed for the last 3 weeks or so, but not everynight so I am also of course worried now about nipple confusion and planning to knock the bottle on the head until this settles down.

Thanks for reading if you made it to here!

onehitwonder Mon 03-Aug-09 21:03:38

BTW when I say 'fussing' I mean seeming to be frantic to feed and then refusing to latch, screaming, gagging on the breast then when I take him away from the breast, rooting into my neck, the bed etc - really quite dramatic. Then if I can get him latch and to stay on until the milk arrive he will calm and feed.

GruffaloMama Mon 03-Aug-09 22:22:44

Poor you - just when you think it's settling down! Am sure that missing a few feeds won't destroy your supply if it's short-term.

Bumping for someone who can give you proper advice but I would go for a babymoon. Lots of skin to skin time and no pressure on him to feed. If you google biological nurturing it might be a nice way of him latching himself on and having a lovely cuddly feed.

This is a leaflet I think is quite good nurturing link

tiktok Mon 03-Aug-09 23:38:20

onehitwonder I'm off to bed so excuse brevity....this sounds as if it could well be the result of an over-abundant supply, from what you say, though I don't think you have under-supply now. If you really, really think he is not urinating, then you need to speak to the doc or HV, but this could just be a blip.

Expressing on top of an abundant milk supply is usually not a good idea, BTW - makes the production line even crazier

Best to call one of the bf helplines tomorrow and speak to someone in detail about this.

onehitwonder Tue 04-Aug-09 11:11:19

Thanks for the replies. We had a better night, I fed him at 10pm to 11pm, 2am to 3am and then 5am to 6am (when he woke for feeds basically) after which we snuggled in bed and he fed intermittently and then had a pretty good feed at 8am. We have had a couple of heavier nappies thank goodness smile and my breasts are feeling 'fuller' again today. He seems to feed a lot easier when drowsy. Whereas when I am trying to feed him in the living room in daylight, it is really hard to get him to settle to feeding.

He had his first immunisations today - not great timing when I was already feeling so stressed about his feeding, and so we got him weighed, he has gained 1kg in 4 weeks, so even though he has seemed to feed faster in the past few weeks, he must still be getting enough milk.

On the downside I seem to have a blocked duct which I didn't manage to shift yesterday, as he wasn't feeding well sad. With DD I used to get her to latch with her chin towards the lump, but I am going to struggle wrangling him to do this (lump is top right of one breast, so would mean he would need to be kind of upside down (I can't see him co-operating at present).

I am going to try the babymoon idea today, lots of skin to skin and see how that goes.

I fed DD for 2.5 years and just feel a bit useless for not noticing that a problem was brewing.

GruffaloMama Tue 04-Aug-09 14:25:19

glad to hear you had a better night - and fab weight gain! hope the babymoon is going well. Bummer about the blocked duct. don't know if you've used them before but the b-fing helplines were great for me. will try to find the numbers - they might have some handy tips for trying to loosen it if you can't persuade DS to be more acrobatic...

• National Breastfeeding Helpline 0844 20 909 20
• Association of Breastfeeding Mothers helpline 08444 122 949
• National Childbirth Trust Breastfeeding line: 0300 330 0771

I think they try to pass you onto someone local so if you'd like to see someone in person they might be able to help.

posieparkerinChina Tue 04-Aug-09 14:28:22

In your situation, and I'm no expert, I would babymoon. Lots of skin to skin and relaxing with your baby exclusively. Eat cake, drink plenty and enjoy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now