Talk

Advanced search

nipple shielld advice

(8 Posts)
queenofpuddings Mon 03-Aug-09 14:24:32

do nipple shields need to be sterilised before use,

Getthekettleon Mon 03-Aug-09 14:33:44

I think so yes. I used to have a container with a very mild solution of Milton in it and I'd pop the sheild in after a feed and leave it in there till next feed.

Salleroo Mon 03-Aug-09 14:42:00

absolutely, same as a bottle teat. give it a good wash in hot soapy water and then sterilise.

dcgc Mon 03-Aug-09 14:42:50

I used to wash mine with fairy liquid and then rinse through with boiling water. quicker than faffing with a steriliser but still hygienic.

queenofpuddings Mon 03-Aug-09 14:45:36

thanks every one, did the nipple shieldswork properly

dcgc Mon 03-Aug-09 14:55:39

hmmm, kind of. I was in excrutiating pain with chapped nipples so was prepared to try anything. They did help I suppose and allowed the nipple to heal a little bit, but then when I tried him without shields the poor little mite had forgotten how to do it! (cue mastitis and even more pain, wussed out of BF and went to formula).

GwarchodwrPlant Mon 03-Aug-09 14:59:02

Yes sterilise them before each feed. Hot soapy water rinsed well is enough.

But if you do use solution dont't leave them in the sterilising solution like I did! It eats into the material and makes them all sticky and horrible. I had to throw away a good pair that the BFC gave me!

Also rinse them really well as Milton residue can cause thrush.

dcgc Mon 03-Aug-09 15:40:51

sorry, think I misunderstood your question...yes they work fine if you rinse with boiling water. Used to put them in the dishwasher (in the top section so more gentle wash) once a week to give them a really good clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now