Talk

Advanced search

7 month old - how many feeds a day?

(4 Posts)
Fufulina Mon 03-Aug-09 08:15:57

Hi all - my DD is EBF and we're BLW. Quick question about how many feeds you'd expect in a day? I ask because I left her yesterday with DH. I fed her at 6.30am (hadn't fed her since 11.15 the previous night) then was out all day.

She refused bottles all day (she's normally fine with bottles of EBM) and I fed her when I got home at 4pm and then again before bed. She was fine with DH - seemingly not that hungry and I was braced for a terrible night while she caught up but actually she went 6.30pm until 3.15am without waking up at all (she normally wakes at about 11.30 for a feed). I fed her then and she went back to sleep until 6. This is a really good night for us.

Now - she would normally have feeds at 6.30am, 9.30am, 12.30, 3.30 and bedtime. So my question is - does that suggest I should try and drop one feed in the day? 6.30, 11, 3 and bedtome or something? She got by yesterday on 3 feeds in the day [astonished emoticon].

Any thoughts gratefully received!

PatTheHammer Mon 03-Aug-09 08:26:11

Hi, not quite the same but my DS is also BLW but he was mixed fed from about 5 and half mths. Now, when I say mixed fed he would take a piddling amount of formula in the day at around 11am and 2.30pm.
When I went back to work at 6mths and he was eating food he got less and less willing to take these bottles so basically has a bf at about 8.30am and then none till 4.00pm. I am trying a few ounces of formula in his doidy cup at lunchtime to tide him over (has this about 1pm after lunch) because I can't be arsed with the bottles if he isn't going to take any. Maybe try this with your EBM?

He is almost 7 mths now and is happy and healthy on this, eating (sort of!) 3 meals a day and one snack. He has been satisfied, gaining weight and doesn't seem hungry (has a feed about 10.30pm and then sometimes wakes for nightfeed and sometimes doesn't). I am taking these as signs that he is having enough.

HTH.

BTW. he is my second and my older DD also gave up bottles fairly early (10 months) and preferred a cup.

Fufulina Mon 03-Aug-09 08:32:59

Thanks Pat - that helps. It's tricky as I have no idea how much she takes at each feed (although there are quick) - so it may be that like your DS - she is eating more food than I realised and doesn't need so much boob. I have the fear now that she won't take bottles though. That's my freedom! Although she's not on anything like three meals - she has food three times a day - but I'm not convinced she's eating that much of it TBH.

Anyway - thanks very much for your reply.

PatTheHammer Mon 03-Aug-09 08:40:43

Fufulina....It's hard isn't it when you can't see and they are quick on the breast. I am thinking that DS still has 5 good breastfeeds a day and a little milk in a cup so this sounds fine. He also likes yoghurt and cheese. I do think they eat more than you think with the blw too, the nappies are good evidence grin

If she doesn't take bottles but is still satisfied and/or takes EBM from a cup then you can still have some freedom. I manage to go to work in between DS's feeds, which isn't what I'd be doing in an ideal world, but at least I know he can be left!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: