Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

breastfeeding 2nd time round is sore

(13 Posts)
queenofpuddings Sun 02-Aug-09 19:49:11

I breastfed DD1 for 1yr without any problems whatsoever and loved it.

This time with DD2 my nipples are sore and feeding is more uncomfortable, not sure if latch is right etc .DD2 is now 8 weeks

just wondered if anyother mumsnetters had a wonderful breatfeeding experience first time and not wonderful 2nd time round.

i don'tnecesarily need advice just other experiences would be grateful

bethdivine Sun 02-Aug-09 20:30:31

hi,
I'm not having the best time 2nd time round either - I BF DS for 12mo, so expected to find it all so easy this time around, but DD is not the calmest of feeders, so has a bit of a melt down before feeding - more than half of her feeds are quite stressful, yet once she settles down the feed can then be lovely, sometimes she bobs on and off for 5-10 mins, quite aggressively and altho' I think my let down is quite fast, she sometimes does this before let down too. HV was here fri trying to help me out and stayed 2hrs watching her and was quite baffled herself in the end! - so I know this is quite different to your problem, but just to say am not enjoying it so much either, to the point where I actually asked DH to sterilise the bottles we'd bought today, when I was feeling utterly desperate. Things calmed down, so they weren't needed in the end, but I can't see me doing 12mo with DD, which is such a shame, but it's not pleasant for any of us hearing DD screaming at the beginning of most feeds!

Is there any chance your DD could have thrush? I know this can make feeding painful? I know sometimes with DD the problem is she gets so tired she doesn't know if she wants to feed or sleep, so sometimes the feed gets painful as she's so sleepy in the end she's not latched on properly. Sometimes I just let her carry on as am so thankful she isn't screaming any more blush.

I'll watch this thread with interst, hope you manage to work through it - are you planning on carrying on?
My DD is 16wks now.

indiehendrix Sun 02-Aug-09 22:10:48

hi
yes think is common i was still feeding DS1 at 2 and ahalf when DS2 came sooo thought i was the most amazing earth mother BUT had nipple pain on and off for a few months dunno why used sheilds for a bit and he gained lots of weight /lots of milk so still not sure why
keep going x

Mybox Sun 02-Aug-09 22:14:10

Had this with dd for the first weeks after a c/s - think this was the problem as hard to get comfy plus running after dd whilst bf - so once my arms got stronger to hold dd it was fine. Very sore & painful but it cleared up. Hope you get it sorted.

mears Sun 02-Aug-09 22:17:11

Sometimes second time around you don't pay enough attention to positioning and let the baby lie like an older one. I did that and had really sore nipples second time round. Once I was more careful with positioning and attachment it got better. Has your baby been checked for tongue-tie queenofpuddings?

thisisyesterday Sun 02-Aug-09 22:26:09

well, i didn't have wonderful experiences the first 2 times as both babies were tongue-tied. but i did feed ds2 until he was 16 months (after TT was snipped)

thought i'd be fine with ds3 but still had problems!
i went to local baby cafe and it was just a positioning thing.
it helped a lot to just line him up with the nipple and let him latch on by himself. I was so usd to having newborns that were unable to do this cos of the tongue tie that i was helping him on, and getting it wrong!

queenofpuddings Sun 02-Aug-09 22:34:10

thanks everyone, still planning to keep b/feeding, i think the latch is better but not sure.

just fed her and was still sore, am just going to hope it gets better

queenofpuddings Sun 02-Aug-09 22:36:21

hi beth

hope it gets better for you too. feeding is not that painful just a bit sore and uncomfortable o not sure it its thrush

VulpusinaWilfsuit Sun 02-Aug-09 22:37:54

Yeah, what mears said. Invariably with baby 2 and 3, I had em too far into my elbow IWSWIM, when their little heads needed to be further along my forearm. This meant they were too 'high' on the nipple and head not tilted back enough. Had to really work hard to remember newborn positioning after an 'experienced' feeder.

Had to be told this by BF clinic adviser grin but the minute she showed me it was obvious. Of course, being an experienced BFer I thought I should have known it all. Wish I'd sought help with positioning earlier. Not at all uncommon in 2nd or 3rd BF babies apparently... Good luck.

thisisyesterday Sun 02-Aug-09 22:38:59

why not see if there is a baby cafe near you? if it's something like latch or positioning they'll be able to help you fix it really quickly

WoTmania Mon 03-Aug-09 07:32:51

I had this too. DS2 had a teeny tiny mouth so i adjusted the way i latched him on. Kida 'folded' the nipple into his mouth. Maybe try biological nursing type stuff?

WoTmania Mon 03-Aug-09 07:35:14

i did get better though (he's still going) and DD feeds like a dream.

traceybath Mon 03-Aug-09 07:44:45

I'm on number 3 (10 days old) and bf has been very challenging this time to my utter shock.

However think the problem this time for me was dd is smaller than my other two dc's and her mouth just wasn't opening wide enough. So i've been working on getting her mouth open more for each feed which has helped me be less sore.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now