Advanced search

Mirena Coil and breastfeeding-?affect supply

(7 Posts)
mum2JRC Sun 02-Aug-09 18:55:55

I'm thinking of getting the Mirena Coil fitted after recommendations by friends but none of them are breastfeeding so I was wondering if it has any affect on milk supply.

My DS is 5 months and EBF so I can not afford any reduced supply at the moment.

I'd be grateful of any advice

Thanks smile

guineamango Sun 02-Aug-09 20:35:13

I had one fitted when my dd was 8 weeks. As far as I know it didn't affect supply. But I couldn't get my head round having it in and had it removed after a week!

alibobble Mon 03-Aug-09 11:35:37

I was wondering the same thing so will bump this to try and get an answer!

nct73 Wed 05-Aug-09 21:38:42

GP said no effect on breast milk. Could get from 12 weeks. Am considering but only 7 weeks now. Was on Depo injections before but cant have that until after stopped breast feeding.

CMOTdibbler Wed 05-Aug-09 22:25:56

It is the same hormone as the mini pill (which is OK to bf with) but much lower dose. I had one fitted at 12 weeks, and had no problem at all with supply.

Dr at FPC said she had checked into it herself as she was v pg when she fitted mine, and intended to have one fitted herself once her DC had arrived

fruitstick Wed 05-Aug-09 23:03:30

I had one fitted at about 18 weeks and I don't think it has had any effect on supply.

I had an infection though and some of the antibiotics are not tested for breastfeeding. My GP prescribed them anyway and told me they would be fine hmm

whomovedmychocolate Thu 06-Aug-09 09:05:14

Some bits from Wikipedia on this:

Nursing mothers
There is an increased risk of perforation in women who are lactating.[19]
Progestogen-only contraceptives such as an IUS are not believed to affect milk supply or infant growth.[26] However, a study in the Mirena application for FDA approval found a lower continuation of breastfeeding at 75 days in IUS users (44%) versus copper IUD users (79%).[27]
Levornogestrel is found in nursing infants at 7% of the concentration found in their mothers using the Mirena IUS.[7] A six-year study of breastfed infants whose mothers used a levonorgestrel-only method of birth control found the infants had increased risk of respiratory infections and eye infections, though a lower risk of neurological conditions, compared to infants whose mothers used a copper IUD.[28] No longer-term studies have been performed to assess the long-term effects on infants of levornogestrel in breast milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now