Talk

Advanced search

Mirena Coil and breastfeeding-?affect supply

(7 Posts)
mum2JRC Sun 02-Aug-09 18:55:55

I'm thinking of getting the Mirena Coil fitted after recommendations by friends but none of them are breastfeeding so I was wondering if it has any affect on milk supply.

My DS is 5 months and EBF so I can not afford any reduced supply at the moment.

I'd be grateful of any advice

Thanks smile

guineamango Sun 02-Aug-09 20:35:13

I had one fitted when my dd was 8 weeks. As far as I know it didn't affect supply. But I couldn't get my head round having it in and had it removed after a week!

alibobble Mon 03-Aug-09 11:35:37

I was wondering the same thing so will bump this to try and get an answer!

nct73 Wed 05-Aug-09 21:38:42

GP said no effect on breast milk. Could get from 12 weeks. Am considering but only 7 weeks now. Was on Depo injections before but cant have that until after stopped breast feeding.

CMOTdibbler Wed 05-Aug-09 22:25:56

It is the same hormone as the mini pill (which is OK to bf with) but much lower dose. I had one fitted at 12 weeks, and had no problem at all with supply.

Dr at FPC said she had checked into it herself as she was v pg when she fitted mine, and intended to have one fitted herself once her DC had arrived

fruitstick Wed 05-Aug-09 23:03:30

I had one fitted at about 18 weeks and I don't think it has had any effect on supply.

I had an infection though and some of the antibiotics are not tested for breastfeeding. My GP prescribed them anyway and told me they would be fine hmm

whomovedmychocolate Thu 06-Aug-09 09:05:14

Some bits from Wikipedia on this:

Nursing mothers
There is an increased risk of perforation in women who are lactating.[19]
Progestogen-only contraceptives such as an IUS are not believed to affect milk supply or infant growth.[26] However, a study in the Mirena application for FDA approval found a lower continuation of breastfeeding at 75 days in IUS users (44%) versus copper IUD users (79%).[27]
Levornogestrel is found in nursing infants at 7% of the concentration found in their mothers using the Mirena IUS.[7] A six-year study of breastfed infants whose mothers used a levonorgestrel-only method of birth control found the infants had increased risk of respiratory infections and eye infections, though a lower risk of neurological conditions, compared to infants whose mothers used a copper IUD.[28] No longer-term studies have been performed to assess the long-term effects on infants of levornogestrel in breast milk.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrauterine_system

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now