Talk

Advanced search

Any breastfeeding experts around now?

(13 Posts)
JimmyMcNulty Thu 30-Jul-09 21:59:16

Ds2 was born this morning and, unlike ds1 at the same point, had a really really long feed about an hour after birth which lasted on and off for about 2 hours ending around 1pm-ish. However he hasn't fed since then (now 10pm) and has gone on to the very sleepy stage not showing any more interest. The midwife said to reckon on him wanting another feed around 6 hours after the first and then 6 hours later or so before settling to much more frequent feeding. Can someone tell me at what point I need to worry?

Am very (very) nervous about this aspect because of history with ds1 - big problems establishing bfing and he lost a lot of weight and had to be syringe fed for a while - the hospital kept giving me very grave faces and warnings about him not feeding. I feel like if this one will just have another feed I can get some sleep and stop worrying... He has done 3 lots of meconium-stylee poos since birth.

andiem Thu 30-Jul-09 22:01:38

I would instigate skin to skin contact with him to get him stimulated and wanting to feed again
ds2 was like this and skin to skin got him going
congratulations smile

JimmyMcNulty Thu 30-Jul-09 22:02:40

Thanks for the quick reply andiem, have been having lots of skin to skin but it just seems to send him to sleep.

hercules1 Thu 30-Jul-09 22:04:09

You need to speak to someone. Can't you phone the hospital?

rockinghertosleep Thu 30-Jul-09 22:05:04

Not an expert by any means, but DD fed just after birth and then was pretty uninterested for the 1st 3 days or so - I kept putting her to the breast every time she cried and/or every 3 hours or so, but midwives reassured me that babies are born with full bellies and it takes a day or two for them to really get hungry. Don't know if it's true or not, but she was fine on tiny tiny dribbles of colostrum until my milk came in on day 3....

I think she might have even gone 5-6 hours between feeds for the first few nights...

FlamongoBongo Thu 30-Jul-09 22:05:16

Have lots of skin-to-skin time with him. Try to drip colostrum onto his lips so he's getting some sugar to perk him up a bit. If he ever stirs, make sure he's lying on your boob so he can latch on quickly before he falls asleep again.

It's not abnormal to have a sleepy day 1, so don't worry too much just yet, but keep him close and aim to get him feeding in the next few hours.

If dripping bm on his lips is tricky, try lying with your knees up, and lie him with his bottom on your pubic bone and his head at your knees. Then express a drip of colostrum onto your clean little finger, and put it to his lips that way. Or use a syringe to pick the drip off your nipple and put into his mouth.

andiem Thu 30-Jul-09 22:05:40

have you tried to hand express a tiny bit of colostrum so he gets a sniff of it?

andiem Thu 30-Jul-09 22:07:18

am just thinking back and ds2 was born at 12.45am and didn't feed again until about 10 the next morning but day 1 can be very sleepy are you at home?

DjangoTheDjinn Thu 30-Jul-09 22:08:50

DD not bothered at all for 24hrs. Midwives all said it was normal. She had nothing at all for the first night and day. I just made it constantly available and she soon fed very, very, very regularly.

tiktok Thu 30-Jul-09 22:17:54

OP, this is on the normal spectrum...keep her skin to skin but not boiling hot, and respond to every little feeding cue without making a big stressy fight about it. She has fed well, and may well be chillin...babies who haven't fed at all are the ones to worry about. I bet she feeds soon

fothergill Thu 30-Jul-09 22:25:37

dd2 slept and slept. She slept through the night from day one and still does. I was equal parts loving the sleep I was having/ worried about her long hours without food but she gained weight and thrived fine so I never did wake her for food - she did eat every 2 hours in the day though. Dd1 didn't feed for 24 -48 hours and there was lots of threats from the midwives about not being happy but eventually the lady with the sweet trolley told me it was the spinal anaesthetic I'd had for stitches - sure enough she suddenly started feeding better. I know colostrum is rich enough to keep them going on very little till your milk comes in. Just keep offering.

JimmyMcNulty Thu 30-Jul-09 22:30:19

thanks so much for all the help, have been taking the advice and now typing one-handed as he has latched on 10 mins ago and is feeding smile

i will now breathe out and relax again!

mn saves my sanity again...

tiktok Thu 30-Jul-09 22:53:31

Yay

And sorry for getting sex wrong of the new baby!

He's a ds not a dd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now