Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can someone please tell me WHY I keep on getting THRUSH?

(32 Posts)
GwarchodwrPlant Thu 30-Jul-09 21:47:02

I've been breastfeeding my DS for 10mths now and I've lost count of the number of times I've had thrush. DS shows no symptoms apart from a red bottom and my nipples are sore again.

It's driving me crackers! How can some people complete breastfeeding and never ever suffer with it and me, I have it almost every couple of months!

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!

What in Gods name am I doing wrong????

MumHadEnough Thu 30-Jul-09 21:49:05

Are you eating lots of sugar/processed foods?

thisisyesterday Thu 30-Jul-09 21:50:40

are u sure you're properly geetting rid of it each time?

do you eat lots of sugary/processed foods. do you eat a lot of food containing yeast? bread/marmite etc?

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 30-Jul-09 21:51:08

Yes, I suppose I do eat too many sugary foods. But that's not the cause of it surely? There are plenty of women out there who BF and eat a crap diet are there not?

I do eat very healthily, I'm a normal weight but I do eat a lot of sweeties too.

LilRedWG Thu 30-Jul-09 21:51:33

Are both you and DS being treated when you have an attack? If not, you could be passing it back and forth between each other.

thisisyesterday Thu 30-Jul-09 21:52:01

and another thougut, are you certain it's thrush? a poor latch can cause pain extremely similar to thrush pains, sometimes you don't notice that the latch has slipped but it's easy to get blase about it as they get bigger. so sometimes you just need to be extra careful thatt hey're always latching on properly for a while and it getsbetter

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 30-Jul-09 21:52:13

Yes I do eat bread and marmite. Bread every day.

How do I get rid of the damn thing properly?

Mimsy2000 Thu 30-Jul-09 21:52:35

agree on the sugary/processed foods -also complicated by lowered immune system.

you should go to the gp either way....

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 30-Jul-09 21:54:06

DS treated with Nyastin oral drops and me with Daktarin cream.

I don't think he has a poor latch. He doesn't feed that much now anyway.

When he was a few months old I went to see a BFC and she diagnosed thrush, she said his latch was perfect.

MumHadEnough Thu 30-Jul-09 21:55:21

The fungal infection can thrive on yeast/sugary foods, hence why I asked this. Some people aren't prone to it, so even though they eat a crap diet it will still go away. Others, like me, need to avoid yeasty and sugar foods to avoid thrush recurring, in various places blush.

Visit doc but also try and cut down your sugar and yeast intake. That includes any white carbs like pasta and bread too btw.

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 21:55:23

Gwarchodwr, I always think you should be Gwarchodwraig [unless you is a bloke].

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 30-Jul-09 21:57:12

GP's are rubbish. They know nothing about it. I had to get some tablets for it when it was really bad and I was experiencing pain deep within my breasts and he wouldn't listen to what I said and only prescribed me a low dose of meds. I had to go back and show him some info that I had printed out to convince him to give me the correct dosage!

I don't want to do this all over again!!! I'm sick of the sight of the dropper bottle!

Please can someone give me a magic cure!

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 30-Jul-09 21:58:22

Ha moondog! Gwarchodwr is unisex. I know because I have looked it up!

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 22:00:04

Yes indeedy it can be. I am a pedant however!
Do you siarad Cymraeg? smile

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 30-Jul-09 22:00:54

Ydw. Cymrais?

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 22:01:51

Wrth cwrs!

Lots of us on here.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 30-Jul-09 22:03:56

Recurrent thrush can be caused by low iron levels. It won't show up in a routine blood test apparently but try taking some iron and see if that helps.
I had problems until I did this, but I've been clear for about 4 months now - DS is 12 months.

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 30-Jul-09 22:04:04

grin

or gogledd ta'r de?

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 22:05:04

Gogledd
But am in Bangladesh at present with my dh and kids.

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 30-Jul-09 22:06:31

Funny you should say that Ali40 as I have suffered with low iron levels and have just started taking Spa Tone so it will be interesting to see if that helps.

So. Cut out the sweeties, bread, marmite and pasta, increase the iron and get treatment for both of us. Correct?

Do I need to burn my bras? Launder at 60 degrees?

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 30-Jul-09 22:08:32

Are you posting all the way from Bangladesh? shock

I don't know why that suprises me, 'tis the 'tinternet afterall!

I'm from the gogledd too! Which part are you?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 30-Jul-09 22:14:34

I washed my bras at 60 while I was taking fluconazole. The thrush had got really deep in my breasts and it took 17 days of treatment to get rid of it, combined with taking iron, and thank god i've had no recurrance since then. I was on the verge of giving up feeding because it was just agony.

Wash your bras at 60, change breast pads every feed. If you are using cloth nappies then wash those at 60 too.
I had a cracked nipple at the same time which kept turning into mastitis (I had a fun few months!!!!) so I was also slathering on the Lansinoh to keep everything healed up.

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 22:16:34

I'm a Cofi.
Roughly speaking.
And you?

Montifer Thu 30-Jul-09 22:25:44

I also had what the BFC thought was thrush and a GP who said "well you've got to 12 weeks so you'll be thinking of stopping bf now" angry
I completely sympathise, it really is a horrible pain.
I found the La Leche thrush leaflet very helpful and tried the grapefruit seed extract tablets they suggested as a complementary treatment.
I really think that was what brought an end to my symptoms (I had tried a few cycles of conventional treatment).
I washed my bras at 60 and baked them in the sun.
Hope that helps.

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 30-Jul-09 22:27:14

Ali40 you sound as thought you've had a tough old time of it! It's a bugger once you've got it isn't it!

Moondog- Iawn cont? I'm on the Isle on the Isle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now