Talk

Advanced search

top tips for sore nipps ?

(14 Posts)
sazlocks Thu 30-Jul-09 20:43:22

posting for my friend who is feeding 2 week old DS 2 and her nipps are very sore. Suggested popping on tea strainers to air them so they don't touch clothing and lansinoh but any other thoughts I can pass on ?
thanks

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 20:44:16

People recommend those Silverette things very highly.
Also, a good airing helps.

sazlocks Thu 30-Jul-09 20:59:04

haven't heard of those but can see that they are well thought of - will pass it on
cheers

Wheelybug Thu 30-Jul-09 21:00:33

When you start feeding concentrate on counting to 10. Hopefully the worst will be over by then !

NotSoRampantRabbit Thu 30-Jul-09 21:05:26

I tried some biological nurturing (google it) and it was less painful immediately. Sore nips a dim and distant nightmare about 3 days later.

Tiktok recommended.

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Thu 30-Jul-09 21:05:41

I used kamillosan (sp) which helped brilliantly. You can get it from any supermarket in the baby section.

Smittals Thu 30-Jul-09 21:27:23

I used nipple shields which was a blessed relief and stopped the bleeding... BUT I know they are not supposed to be very good for establishing bfing - I used them for all the feeds the first day, then alternate feeds the next, by which time things had more or less healed up. Did notice that milk production slacked off but not sure if this was down to the shields preventing direct stimulation or just things settling down in general.

hayleybop Thu 30-Jul-09 21:38:09

Make sure the baby is latched on properly...I used vasaline after everyfeed...it took a few days to heal. My first baby the pain went on for 3 weeks but this is because she wasnt latched on properly!

determination Thu 30-Jul-09 23:27:29

i used the Silverette when i had a wide, open gash on my areola (with green puss coming from it!) and i was pain free IMMEDIATELY and COMPLETELY healed within approx 36 hours. I was amazed. It was like i could actually see them heal within my very own eye... Absolutely best bfing buy ever.. without a doubt. Mine are now framed!!

ineedalifelaundry Fri 31-Jul-09 00:12:05

I also found kamillosan a godsend, after struggling on with lansinoh for 8 weeks. Kamillosan sorted me out in a few days. (Now use it as a nappy rash cream - also excellent)

Also using a bf consultant who made tiny changes to how I held my DD which made a massive difference to the quality of the latch and halved the pain of feeding immediately.

PlumBumMum Fri 31-Jul-09 00:34:44

Whiskey and glycerine, mixed together and dabbed on nipple leave to dry
(mw recomended this to me)think I did a tblsp of each in an egg cup

If all else fails she could drink the whiskeygrin

PlumBumMum Fri 31-Jul-09 00:35:41

once healed keep using Lansinoh

alypaly Fri 31-Jul-09 00:37:20

def Kamillosan

sazlocks Fri 31-Jul-09 08:00:13

Thanks so much for all the tips - they are great. As I am pregnant with number 2 I am also glad to have heard about Silverette as well. I will cut and paste and email her the thread.
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now