Talk

Advanced search

Well, this is news to me!

(11 Posts)
Fruityjuice Thu 30-Jul-09 19:03:36

No need to sterilise!

Is this correct? Oh I'd love to stop - it's the bane of my life.

Do you sterilise bottles/teats?

Much as I'd love to stop, having been in childcare for about 12 years, I'm not sure I can break the habit. They look so clean and shiney after sterilisation!

DS2 is 4 months old BTW

SoupDragon Thu 30-Jul-09 19:14:17

Yes, it's true.

BertieBotts Thu 30-Jul-09 19:14:28

No, I don't sterilise. But I breastfeed and so if I ever give DS a bottle I wash thoroughly and use it straight away anyway. I store expressed milk in those ready-sterilised bags.

K999 Thu 30-Jul-09 19:17:02

To be honest I sterilised for a few months and then shoved everything in the dishwasher...pretty much same principle, however I remember putting in a pan that I had made bolognese in and the teats came out orange!! A good hot wash is fine!!

Fruityjuice Thu 30-Jul-09 19:18:18

That's it, I'm stopping! I always thought it was a waste of time.
<fruity goes to empty the steriliser and launch it>

Fabadoos!

Fruityjuice Thu 30-Jul-09 19:19:28

I don't have a dishwasher - no space in my teeny weeny box kitchen

Oh yeah, the orange stains, hmmm, steriliser's quite handy for that hmm...........

dawntigga Fri 31-Jul-09 12:26:39

SCUBU in some hospitals don't bother sterilising expressing equipment so I never do for DS but do for the milk bank.

GettingSomeUseOutOfHerSteriliserIfItKillsHerTiggaxx

Sheeta Fri 31-Jul-09 12:30:24

I do think that if you're making bottles in advance (lots of people still make a days worth in one go) then you still need to sterilise.

Agree that there is just no need if you're making up bottles fresh though.

mrsfix Fri 31-Jul-09 12:50:05

Totally agree with Sheeta ref making up in advance.

IMO, as a cheesemaker (honest!) being able to wash up properly should be fine but you never want to give bacteria a chance to hang out and multiply. Like teenagers wink

Fruityjuice Sat 01-Aug-09 11:30:40

oooh I adore cheese, I would quite happily live of it grin Don't want it in the bottles though wink
I make them up fresh, 2nd day not sterilising and so far so good!

MrsOlf Sat 01-Aug-09 15:30:31

This is great news, thank you. I can move the sterliser back to the loft and free up lots of worktop space - I only express 2 or 3 times a week so you've made me a very happy girl! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: