Talk

Advanced search

Well, this is news to me!

(11 Posts)
Fruityjuice Thu 30-Jul-09 19:03:36

No need to sterilise!

Is this correct? Oh I'd love to stop - it's the bane of my life.

Do you sterilise bottles/teats?

Much as I'd love to stop, having been in childcare for about 12 years, I'm not sure I can break the habit. They look so clean and shiney after sterilisation!

DS2 is 4 months old BTW

SoupDragon Thu 30-Jul-09 19:14:17

Yes, it's true.

BertieBotts Thu 30-Jul-09 19:14:28

No, I don't sterilise. But I breastfeed and so if I ever give DS a bottle I wash thoroughly and use it straight away anyway. I store expressed milk in those ready-sterilised bags.

K999 Thu 30-Jul-09 19:17:02

To be honest I sterilised for a few months and then shoved everything in the dishwasher...pretty much same principle, however I remember putting in a pan that I had made bolognese in and the teats came out orange!! A good hot wash is fine!!

Fruityjuice Thu 30-Jul-09 19:18:18

That's it, I'm stopping! I always thought it was a waste of time.
<fruity goes to empty the steriliser and launch it>

Fabadoos!

Fruityjuice Thu 30-Jul-09 19:19:28

I don't have a dishwasher - no space in my teeny weeny box kitchen

Oh yeah, the orange stains, hmmm, steriliser's quite handy for that hmm...........

dawntigga Fri 31-Jul-09 12:26:39

SCUBU in some hospitals don't bother sterilising expressing equipment so I never do for DS but do for the milk bank.

GettingSomeUseOutOfHerSteriliserIfItKillsHerTiggaxx

Sheeta Fri 31-Jul-09 12:30:24

I do think that if you're making bottles in advance (lots of people still make a days worth in one go) then you still need to sterilise.

Agree that there is just no need if you're making up bottles fresh though.

mrsfix Fri 31-Jul-09 12:50:05

Totally agree with Sheeta ref making up in advance.

IMO, as a cheesemaker (honest!) being able to wash up properly should be fine but you never want to give bacteria a chance to hang out and multiply. Like teenagers wink

Fruityjuice Sat 01-Aug-09 11:30:40

oooh I adore cheese, I would quite happily live of it grin Don't want it in the bottles though wink
I make them up fresh, 2nd day not sterilising and so far so good!

MrsOlf Sat 01-Aug-09 15:30:31

This is great news, thank you. I can move the sterliser back to the loft and free up lots of worktop space - I only express 2 or 3 times a week so you've made me a very happy girl! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now