Talk

Advanced search

Feeling really faint when breast feeding, any ideas?

(7 Posts)
CookieMonster2 Wed 29-Jul-09 15:23:02

My 4 month old is mixed fed, most feeds are topped up with formula. I really don't want any comments on that, unfortunately thats just the way it is

The problem is that over the last week or so whenever I breastfeed him I end up feeling completely and utterly drained, to the point where I often feel as though I am going to faint. He has about 5 main breast feeds a day (i.e. about half an hour) and then I sometimes do top up breast feeds in between if he needs them.

I am making sure I eat and drink enough, especially when I am feeding, and I am getting enough sleep as he has been sleeping through for a while now, so I don't know what else I can do to help with this.
Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anything I can do to help?

Thanks.

kitkatqueen Wed 29-Jul-09 16:53:47

bumping for you

TurtleAnn Wed 29-Jul-09 17:04:39

Have you had your iron levels checked?

KingRolo Wed 29-Jul-09 19:41:55

Yes, I was going to suggest you might need iron levels checking. When mine dip I feel drained and sometimes really quite ill.

Spatone does the trick - great stuff.

BlueSmarties Wed 29-Jul-09 20:07:31

also could maybe be the happy hormones that get released with the let down reflex making you feel giddy - no advice how to make you feel better tho sorry - i used to just sit there like a space cadet stuffing my face and watching tv til it passed.

kitkatqueen Wed 29-Jul-09 23:16:57

Hiya Totally agree that spatone is fabulous, and low iron levels could be causing the dizzyness, but it doesn't explain to me why you are only getting the dizzyness during breastfeeding. Breast Milk does not contain iron - its the main reason why solid introduction is reccomended at around 6 months, the iron store that the baby stolegrin from you before it was born is pretty much depleted by then.

It isn't going to hurt for you to try taking spatone unless you are taking certain other meds. Either way I think I would go and discuss this with your gp. Just don't let your gp tell you not to breast feed, let us know how you are.

CookieMonster2 Thu 30-Jul-09 10:08:49

Thanks for the replies. Wondering if it was just the start of me being ill generally. Feeling really run down today so think I should get it checked out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now