Talk

Advanced search

BFing and slight iron deficiency, linked?

(6 Posts)
FairMidden Wed 29-Jul-09 13:01:47

I have been BFing DS for 2 years and 5 days now grin and I recently had some bloods done for another reason and it was noted that I have a mild iron deficiency.

I've never been low on iron before, even during pregnancy, and I eat a reasonable amount of iron-rich foods. I do drink too much tea though. I feel fine - no more tired than usual - so I'm not worried. Just curious about whether this may relate to BFing and I can't seem to find anything related on kellymom.

WoTmania Wed 29-Jul-09 13:12:54

tea and coffee can inhibit iron uptake. As can dairy and whol;e grain foods. Can't type aymore as Ss kilig each other.

tiktok Wed 29-Jul-09 13:34:59

FairMidden - you could ask doc or practice nurse. Do you have heavy/heavier periods? Bf is generally reckoned to be protective of a woman's iron status because it suppresses menstruation, but this might not apply to you now.

FairMidden Wed 29-Jul-09 14:25:00

Thanks for the responses.

The doctor was quite dismissive - the iron thing was an incidental finding and doesn't seem to be of any significance. I did mention breastfeeding as a possible contributor but she didn't really say anything on the subject. Just that I should eat some black pudding ...

I try to avoid tea with meals but I have been drinking a lot less orange juice recently because DS always wants more of it than I would like him to have - so I may have to start drinking it from a mug with my meals!

Although when they started again (just over a year ago) I had really heavy periods, they're settling down now and aren't anything major.

tiktok Wed 29-Jul-09 14:42:41

Could be the heavy periods to blame, FM, and you may getting back to normal now. Maybe you were more deficient in iron a few months ago.

FairMidden Wed 29-Jul-09 16:27:14

Good point tiktok. Ah well, venison burgers for dinner anyway ... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now