Talk

Advanced search

expressing - used to get 100ml but now only 30...?

(8 Posts)
theansweris42 Tue 28-Jul-09 12:16:43

Hi
up until this week I could reliably get 100ml or more using a hired electric double pump. used it for DP to give an evening bottle and once I went to shops for an hour.

Last few days have got only 30 - 50 ml...
Can anyone help with why?
I'd like to build up EBM in the freezer and also MIL is looking forward to having DS for a couple hours this weekend for the first time and at this rate I am not going to have enough forher to use.

TIA

Picante Tue 28-Jul-09 12:21:06

How old is ds? Likelihood is your supply is just calming down and matching the needs of your son. You'll need to pump more often to get more milk - and it will take a week or so for your supply to increase.

jasperc163 Tue 28-Jul-09 14:59:30

As above. Since about 4 weeks i can only pump in middle of night - nothing comes out during day as DD2 feeds too frequently.

theansweris42 Tue 28-Jul-09 17:22:03

sorry for delay had to go out
- he's nine weeks so that makes sense about supply calming down hadn't thought of that.
I'll have a go pumping more often
thanks!

MegBusset Tue 28-Jul-09 18:45:10

I have this problem too - ds2 is 12 weeks. Two weeks ago I could express 5oz in half an hour, no problem. Today I tried for an hour and only got an oz. Going out for dinner wth dh tomorrow night so hope ds2 doesn't wake before we get back, or that if he does, he isn't hungry!

theansweris42 Tue 28-Jul-09 20:56:24

bump - does anyone have any tips for improving "output"?
thanks

Ernie13 Wed 29-Jul-09 11:46:29

Best way to improve output is just to pump regularly, and try to see if there is a particular time of day that works better for you as well - I was told mornings work best for most people, but evenings an hour or so after DD went to bed seemed to work best for me when it came to expressing extra bottles. Also drink lots and lots of water, particularly an hour or so before expressing.

Different people require different type of stimulus to get the milk flowing without baby - try different things and see what works for you. Some use photo of baby, others need to stroke their breasts, play recordings of baby crying for milk, close their eyes and think of baby etc etc etc

It is quite normal for the volume to vary a bit, but as long as you persist it will pick up again - pure demand and supply wink

theansweris42 Wed 29-Jul-09 13:35:19

thanks Ernie - off to try now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now