Talk

Advanced search

Help - anyone up? Think I have an urgent problem, lump/blockage in breast.

(23 Posts)
BertieBotts Tue 28-Jul-09 06:52:16

Have woken up with one very engorged breast. DS was latched on when I woke up, when I realised, I started to gently massage around where I could feel the lumpy bits but he started to cry and seem annoyed (he is 9.5mo) and then refused to latch at all, so I got up and put a hot flannel on it and hand expressed into the sink which has helped a tiny bit - it only hurts when touched now, not all the time but is painful when touched at all.

Anyway it still hurts and feels engorged with a large firm lump and a smaller pea-sized lump near the areola. I'm not getting anything with hand expressing and DS refuses to latch on, I am a bit scared to try the pump because of this pea sized lump, I think it would be in the way and hurt.

moondog Tue 28-Jul-09 06:56:38

Bertie, I think current advice is to keep on feeding and massaging and applying heat socarry on with that and move it out.It will hurt more if you don't keep the milk moving.

BertieBotts Tue 28-Jul-09 06:59:41

I can't feed, he just cries (as if annoyed/frustrated/get off mum!) if I put him to the breast. I can try with the hand expressing, just don't seem to be getting anywhere.

artichokes Tue 28-Jul-09 06:59:49

Try getting in a hot shower and aiming v hot water at the lump while massaging. If you have a wide tooth comb try brushing towards the nipple with that. Drink loads of water and keep trying to get DS to latch. If you start feeling feverish go straight to the Dr for antibiotics (I waited too long and really regretted it).

Picante Tue 28-Jul-09 07:02:59

Have you got a breast pump? Can you borrow one? I know your pain. sad

hairymelons Tue 28-Jul-09 07:03:49

Morning. Not a BF counseller or owt so you may want to wait for a more expert response but IME...don't be scared to use the pump, you need to get the milk moving through your ducts. You really don't want to get mastitis.I've had a couple of blockages but only got mastitis once- I felt so awful I was really careful about sorting blockages in the future. Can you bring yourself to massage the pea-sized lump a bit as you express? It is painful to start with but will ease as the blockage shifts.
Also try the LLL helpline 0845 120 2918
hope you get sorted soon

BertieBotts Tue 28-Jul-09 07:06:18

I have got a breast pump, will try that. Will try shower as well and let you know. Not even getting drops out when hand expressing.

What is feeling feverish, is it just feeling hot? (Sorry to be stupid!)

hairymelons Tue 28-Jul-09 07:09:54

Yes, feeling hot or alternately hot and cold and unwell.

Picante Tue 28-Jul-09 07:11:03

Use olive oil or similar in the horn while pumping so it won't be too sore.

You'll know if you're feeling feverish - unwell and shaky. Good luck.

Psychobabble Tue 28-Jul-09 07:14:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FaintlyMacabre Tue 28-Jul-09 07:15:06

Yes, feverish would be feeling hot (or paradoxically freezing cold) and shivery.

Could you try latching your DS on in a different position? i.e. lying down, rugby hold.

I found a (disposable) nappy filled with hot water made an excellent compress- it doesn't leak and moulds to the shape of the breast nicely.
The combing really helps too, it sounds awful but doesn't hurt.
You could try some ibuprofen for the pain, it is safe when breastfeeding.

Psychobabble Tue 28-Jul-09 07:15:18

BertieBotts Tue 28-Jul-09 07:29:12

Breast pump seems useless, shield too big so can't get heat or massage through it. Managed to get DS to feed, but he's now refusing again. DP has him now as he kept wanting to be held/entertained.

Nothing seems to be helping, am wondering now if I am wrong to be expecting an immediate change and should just carry on with one thing for say 15 mins? I also seem to need 3 hands as can't apply heat, massage and express all at once.

Haven't got a blunt comb... I have got one of those hair clips with the teeth, would that do?

BertieBotts Tue 28-Jul-09 07:50:23

Don't feel like I am getting anywhere, not sure if I am doing it wrong and wasting time. I tried shower/comb/express with DP holding the shower for about 10 mins and no change. Do you think it's too early to ring local NCT bfc - I have seen her before and she would prob be able to come out. I have her number (as in her work/bfc number) - or would it be better to ring one of the helplines? I don't know if the others have helpers nearby.

hairymelons Tue 28-Jul-09 07:51:18

can you use the shower head as the heat/ massage bit? Or sit in a warm bath? Also, try putting the pump (esp. the silicone bit that goes on your boob) into warm water first so it's warm when it goes on your breast. The nappy idea above sounds great too- you could try applying heat before feeding/ expressing rather than doing all at once- impossible without octopuss arms!

And yes, it may not be immediate, might take a few hours and a few feeds to shift it. Might also feel a bit tender for a while after the blockages have gone. If you start to feel unwell, phone your doctors straight away though.

BertieBotts Tue 28-Jul-09 07:51:30

Also, sorry to keep posting! Should I be massaging hard enough to hurt?

hairymelons Tue 28-Jul-09 07:53:25

LLL have always been great for me, number is above. They can't come and see you though. Why not give NCT lady a call, it's nearly 8

hairymelons Tue 28-Jul-09 07:57:37

Go gently at first, it will probably hurt anyway. You should feel the lump getting smaller as you feed/ express. Apply more pressure as you feel necessary to shift it

BertieBotts Tue 28-Jul-09 10:23:47

Update: Couldn't get through on NCT so tried LLL. First I got someone's husband grin luckily he said before I went into too much detail!! Then got a nice lady who I chatted to for nearly an hour, she gave me some more ideas to try and my mum is coming over with ibuprofen as well. It doesn't seem to be shifting but it might just be going very slowly? I will probably go to the doctor if it doesn't change at all but I am wondering what they would be able to do tbh.

misscreosote Tue 28-Jul-09 10:31:38

Bertie - no new advice, the above is what I've tried when BF DD1 and had this a couple of times - but just to say don't panic too much, it might take 24 hours or so to shift (just watch out for infection as above and keep trying to shift the blockage). ANd when it does shift, get everyone in the room to duck! Hope it shifts soon...

Psychobabble Tue 28-Jul-09 13:20:33

FaintlyMacabre Tue 28-Jul-09 13:36:20

I've had blocked ducts twice. Once it gradually improved over 2-3 days, with me diligently combing, applying hot compresses etc. There was no sudden change.

The other just went overnight. I noticed it at bedtime and I was too tired (and DS was too fractious) to bother with all of the above. So I latched him on and hoped for the best! (we co-sleep). At some point in the night I felt a sudden relief as he was feeding and by morning it was all better.

So, in my limited experience it can happen either way.

BertieBotts Tue 28-Jul-09 17:47:03

Thanks everyone for your help. I think it is beginning to shift so I have faith!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now